- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 106
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Purpose of Early Literacy Assessments in Young Children
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this course to prepare for the Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary and Special Education exam. Containing short lessons and self-assessments, this course can help you review and remember all of the instructional topics that you'll encounter on the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
12 chapters in Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Elementary & Special Education (5306): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Professional instructors designed this study guide course to make preparing for the Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Elementary & Special Education exam stress-free and enjoyable. You'll study self-paced lessons on subjects such as assessment and diagnostic teaching, spelling and mechanics for young learners and reading and writing as tools for inquiry. Help from an instructor is only a few clicks away in the Dashboard if you have any questions as you complete the course.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
If you plan on taking the Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary and Special Education exam, work through this course to make sure you're fully prepared. Inside the course, you'll find short and engaging lessons that cover the special education and elementary instruction topics you'll be tested on, such as student assessment, reading comprehension strategies, spelling and mechanics and oral language. Once you finish this course, you can expect to be able to:
- Explain diagnostic teaching and assessment
- Discuss communication and oral language
- Outline ELL reading instruction
- Define phonological awareness and phonetic principles
- Describe word analysis and the development of vocabulary
- Explain how to teach reading comprehension and fluency
- Detail comprehension strategies for fiction, nonfiction and poetry
- Apply successful writing instruction strategies
- Understand spelling and language mechanics for young students
- Provide examples of writing and reading tools
Made up of 99 lessons and 11 chapters, this study guide course presents the same subjects you could face on exam day. To help check your knowledge, we've also included lesson quizzes and chapter tests for self-assessment.
Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Elementary & Special Education Exam Information
This exam measures the knowledge and skills of prospective elementary and special education teachers who are seeking entry-level teaching positions in the state of Virginia. The exam contains two parts that assess your knowledge of diagnostic teaching, oral communication, reading development and writing/research.
- Number of Questions: 103
- Question Type: 100 selected-response and three constructed-response questions
- Time Limit: 2 hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $130
Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Elementary & Special Education Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Elementary & Special Education Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Elementary & Special Education Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Assessment & Diagnostic Teaching||15%||19 questions||12|
|Oral Language & Oral Communication||15%||19 questions||9|
|Reading Development||35%||43 questions||57|
|Writing & Research||15%||19 questions||21|
|Analysis & Application||20%||3 questions||99|
Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators: Elementary and Special Education Preparation & Registration
We've designed this course to be informative, flexible and enjoyable. Our expertly-taught lessons are short and concise, which helps you quickly review important elementary and special education concepts. You can access the chapter at any time using your computer or mobile device, and your course dashboard will keep track of your progress. Work through the course at your own pace, and use the dashboard to jump to the chapter topics you want to study. The course includes interactive lesson quizzes, chapter exams and a final exam to help you retain the information and gain confidence prior to taking the Praxis exam. Our expert instructors are also available to answer your questions about elementary and special education.
Registration for this exam can be completed by phone, by mail or through the official Educational Testing Service (ETS) website. The ETS encourages you to review their Praxis Information Bulletin as well as your state's testing requirements before registering. You'll be required to bring an admission ticket to your testing center on your scheduled exam date.
Praxis is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Special Education Course Information
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Financial Examiner Course and Class Reviews
- Should I Become a Special Education Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Special Education Licensure in Virginia
- Online Special Education Graduate Courses Overview
- How to Prepare for Your First Online Course
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- Special Education Teaching Degree in Atlanta with Course Overviews
- Online Classes in Special Education Teaching with Course Descriptions
- Top Degree Programs in Health Information Science - Seattle WA
- Top University Offering a MIS Major - Norfolk MA
- Best School for a Degree in Criminal Justice - Anaheim CA
- Pharmaceutical Management
- Technology Management Degrees Top Ranked College for a Career in MIS and Technical Management - Tucson AZ
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses