- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 185
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Forms of Assessment: Informal, Formal, Paper-Pencil & Performance Assessments
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryYou can use this study guide to prepare for the Praxis Reading Specialist Exam. The course contains video lessons and practice quizzes that will help you get comfortable with the content and format of the exam itself.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
17 chapters in Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Reading Specialist (5304): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
We created this helpful study guide to assist you as you prepare to take the Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators Reading Specialist exam. Our lessons match up with topics on the exam and include everything from reading assessment techniques to the reading education community. Use your smartphone, tablet or computer to access these resources at your convenience.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have comprehensive guides to the Praxis Core and Praxis Subject Assessments with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
If you are planning on taking the Praxis Reading Specialist Exam, you will find the chapters contained within this course to be extremely helpful study tools. The chapters will provide you with lessons on subjects that you will have to understand in order to be a reading specialist in the state of Virginia. The chapters will prepare you to:
- Explain reading assessment techniques
- Implement evidence-based reading instruction
- Outline phonics and fluency
- Discuss spelling, grammar and mechanics
Our test prep course is made up of 157 bite-sized lessons grouped into 16 chapters by subject. We've also included quizzes and chapter exams so you can assess yourself as you move through the course.
Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Reading Specialist Exam Information
The Praxis Reading Specialist Exam will assess your knowledge and ability to work as a reading specialist in Virginia. You will take the exam on a computer at a predetermined testing center near your area.
- Number of Questions: 102
- Question Type: 100 selected-response questions, one constructed-response question and one case study
- Time Limit: 3 hours and 30 minutes
- Exam Cost: $130
Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Reading Specialist Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Reading Specialist Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Reading for Virginia Educators - Reading Specialist Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Assessment & Diagnostic Teaching||13%||18 questions||17|
|Oral Language & Oral Communication||9.5%||12 questions||40|
|Reading Development||30%||40 questions||41|
|Writing & Research||9.5%||12 questions||24|
|Specialized Knowledge & Leadership Skills||13%||18 questions||35|
|Analysis of Specialized Knowledge and Leadership Skills (Constructed Response)||10%||1 question||35|
|Integrated Knowledge & Understanding (Case Study)||15%||1 question||35|
Preparing & Registering for the Praxis Reading Specialist Exam
Use our helpful study guides to learn about the topics you might encounter on the actual Praxis Reading Specialist Exam, including children's language development, instruction techniques and reading assessments. You can watch each chapter's video lessons for clear and comprehensive overviews of each specific topic related to the subject as a whole. Additionally, be sure to test your understanding of some of these topics by taking the chapters' practice quizzes.
Registration for the Praxis exams are done on the ETS website, though you may also register by mail or by phone. Tests may be scheduled throughout the year. You should arrive at the testing center around 30 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. When you arrive at the testing center, make sure you have with you a copy of your admission ticket and a valid, government-issued ID.
The Praxis Exams are a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- How Can Parents Help Their Students Prepare for a College Readiness or AP Exam?
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- Certified Coding Specialist: Exam and Licensing Information
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- Compass Exams
- Online Reading Specialist Courses and Classes Overview
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- Dewey Decimal System Vs Library of Congress Whats the Difference
- Best Degree Programs for Information Technology - New York NY
- Top Degrees for Educational Administration and Teaching - Kansas City MO
- Distance Learning Degree Program in Computer Animation
- Best School for a Criminal Justice Degree - Long Beach CA
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses