- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 185
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Forms of Assessment: Informal, Formal, Paper-Pencil & Performance Assessments
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this study guide to prepare for the Praxis Reading Specialist exam. You'll be able to review such topics as reading assessments and instruction, the development of phonics and reading fluency in children, how to teach vocabulary, and much more.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
This course is a comprehensive review of what you will see on the Praxis Reading Specialist (5301) exam. In it is a series of chapters covering different topics related to teaching reading skills and fulfilling the duties of a reading specialist. You will review details about oral language development, word analysis, grammar, fluency, reading instruction strategies and professional development. Each topics is covered in a short, engaging 5-10-minute video lesson, which you can view as many times as needed to obtain full understanding of this material. Take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams as you advance through the course to determine your level of understanding and need to review any topic again.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2019.
Syllabus & Course Information
This extensive course is designed to discuss all of the topics you will need to know for the Praxis Reading Specialist exam. You can find details about reading instruction and assessment techniques, phonics, and oral and written language development. Once you complete this course, you should be able to:
- List the stages of language development
- Describe phonological skills
- Discuss the alphabetic principle and children's awareness of spoken and written words
- Apply methods for teaching vocabulary, reading comprehension and word meaning
- Understand how to teach reading comprehension for fictional and non-fiction texts
- Teach students how to develop strong writing skills
- Promote the learning of spelling and grammar
- Discuss the role and responsibilities of reading specialists
- Provide details about reading programs and professional development opportunities for reading specialists
This course is made up of 16 individual chapters broken down into 157 video and text lessons. Each lesson is easily accessible 24/7 from any device, making self-paced and convenient study possible.
Praxis Reading Specialist Exam Information
Aspiring reading specialists in many states must take and pass the Praxis Reading Specialist exam to obtain the necessary licensure to work in this field. A thorough review of this study guide will help you retain information you need to know for this exam.
- Number of Questions: 82 questions
- Question Type: Selected- and constructed-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $146
Praxis Reading Specialist Exam Breakdown
- Note that the table below reflects the exam's selected-response questions, which account for 80% of the entire exam.
|Praxis Reading Specialist Exam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Reading Specialist Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Assessment and Diagnostic Teaching||20%||20 questions||17|
|Reading and Writing Development||45%||45 questions||104|
|Leadership Skills and Specialized Knowledge of Pedagogical Principles and Instructional Practices||15%||15 questions||23|
Preparing & Registering for the Praxis Reading Specialist
The chapters of this course have been assembled to help you prepare for the Praxis Reading Specialist exam. Each chapter is composed of lesson videos, lesson transcripts and interactive assessments. Watch the lesson videos first and then reinforce your understanding of the material by reading the lesson transcripts. The chapters' assessments include lesson quizzes you can use to discover which topics you don't understand and practice chapter exams you may take at the end of each chapter.
Praxis exams can be taken at select testing centers and universities around the world on dates year-round. To register for the exam, you will need to set up an account on the Praxis website and register through there. To make changes to or cancel a testing session, you will need to do so at least three full days before your current testing date.
Praxis Reading Specialist is a registered trademark of the Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading Specialist Certification in Oklahoma
- How to Become a Reading Specialist in North Carolina
- Reading Specialist Certification in Missouri
- Reading Comprehension | A Guide for Teaching Reading
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- How to Become a Reading Specialist: Education and Career Roadmap
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- Online Reading Specialist Degree Programs
- Reading Specialist Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Master's Degrees for Reading Specialists: Program Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses