- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 240
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Effects of European Colonization: Christopher Columbus and Native Americans
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryRefer to the lessons in this extensive study guide to fully prepare yourself to take the Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation exam. You'll be ready to take the exam in just a few short weeks when you use this resource to reinforce what you need to know. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
30 chapters in Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation (5086): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Explore all of the topics you need to be familiar with for the Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation exam by using this comprehensive course. You can study facts about ancient world history, U.S. history, world wars, politics, economics, geography and culture that you will need to know for this certification exam. Lessons provide short but detailed overviews of key topics, and you can access each of these lessons at all times, from any device. Reach out to experts with any questions using a short online contact form. Use the self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to measure what you're learned and determine your readiness for this Praxis exam.
If you're looking for something else, be sure to browse through some of our other Praxis pages. We have a comprehensive guide to Praxis Subject Assessments, with information on test dates, locations, passing scores and much more. We've also got Praxis test prep materials to help you practice, Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The material you'll find addressed in this study guide mirrors that which you'll be tested on when taking the Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation exam. Lessons focus on colonization and early American history, the American Revolution, Civil War and World Wars I and II, industrialization, democracy and fiscal policy development. After you complete your review, you should be able to:
- Discuss key figures and events in early U.S. development
- Detail 1920s America and the Great Depression
- Provide details about post-WWII America
- Define federalism and identify the branches of the U.S. government
- Talk about the history of U.S. politics and the election process
- Describe international relations theories
- Understand U.S. foreign, defense and fiscal policies
- List the characteristics of human and cultural geography
- Discuss micro- and macroeconomics
- Understand psychological approaches and the science of psychology
- Give details about culture, cultural norms and cultural changes
This course is made up of 29 individual chapters broken down into 210 video and text lessons. The 24/7 accessibility of the lessons makes it easy to create a flexible study schedule, and you can print lesson transcripts to produce effective study tools.
Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation Exam Information
If you live in a state that utilizes the Praxis teacher certification exams, then you will need to take and pass the Social Studies - Content & Interpretation exam in order to obtain the licensure necessary to teach social studies to public school students.
- Number of Questions: 93 questions
- Question Type: Selected-response and constructed-response
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $146
Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation Exam Breakdown
Note that the three constructed-response, short essay questions, which draw on information contained in all sections, accounts for 25% of the exam.
|Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation Concept||Percent of Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|U.S. History||15%||18 questions||57|
|World History||15%||18 questions||35|
|Behavioral Sciences||8%||10 questions||22|
Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation Preparation & Registration
This study guide provides one of the easiest and most accessible resources you can use to prepare for the Praxis Social Studies - Content & Interpretation exam. You will delve into important historical events in the U.S. and the world, how U.S. politics were shaped, economic factors affecting policies, the development of ancient civilizations, and eras that mark American history.
The Educational Testing Service (ETS) provides online registration for Praxis exams; simply access the ETS website, create an account, submit all requested information and make payment of exam fees with Paypal or a debit/credit card. You will then be emailed an admission ticket which you must bring with you to your test site on the day of your exam. Registration by mail (download, fill out and mail the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form to get a voucher to complete the registration) and phone (additional charges apply) are also options.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- Study.com Updates
- Where Can I Take a Child Care Exam Online?
- Social Studies Lesson Plans
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- 4 Ways to Study Effectively for Your CLEP Exams
- What to Do When Your Study Group Isn't Helping You Succeed on Exams
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- Not Ready for a Real-Life Jurassic World? Study These Subjects to Prepare
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses