- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 138
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Child and Adolescent Development: Developmental Milestones & Nature vs. Nurture
Course SummaryThis course has been designed to fully prepare you for the Praxis Special Education exam. The content of the course will cover all the topics that are addressed by questions on the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Study Guide
Praxis exams are used to measure teaching skills and content knowledge. Teacher candidates are required to take Praxis assessments for state licensure and credentials in most states. The Special Education (5543) Exam assesses a prospective teacher's core knowledge and application strategies for students with mild to moderate disabilities. The test will consist of selected and constructed response questions. This course has been specifically designed by professional instructors to help you prepare for this important exam.
Check out our Praxis test prep materials! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational Praxis resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Course Information
Our professional instructors have designed this course to prepare you for the Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam. This comprehensive course covers all of the topics outlined in the official test materials from ETS. The topics range from specific content knowledge to skills for instructional application. The following are some of the objectives for this course:
Development and Characteristics of Learners
- Understand child development psychology
- Explain cognitive influences on learning
- Describe common disabilities, disorders, and impairments and how they affect learning
Planning and Learning Environment
- Outline specific strategies to meet individual student needs
- Match student learning styles to appropriate motivational strategies
- Planning and implementing individualized intervention, instructional, and tranisition strategies
- Implementing assistive and adaptive technology
- Plan and implement specific assessments to evaluate progress toward individual goals
- Interpret assessment results to measure and report student progress
Foundations and Professional Responsibiities
- Describe the responsibilities expected for teaching students with special needs
- Adhere to legislation related to Special Education
Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Course Format
Our Praxis Special Education Exam study guide course is comprised of 12 chapters and 126 lessons, each focused on a specific concept related to the topics covered on this Special Education exam. Each chapter is broken down into 4 -10 video lessons, which are no longer than ten minutes, with a practice quiz that can reinforce what you have studied.
Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Information
- _Number of Questions_: 93 questions
- _Question Type_: Selected-response and constructed-response
- _Time Limit_: 2 Hours
- _Exam Cost_: $146
Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Concept||Percentage of the Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam||Approximate Number of Questions|
|Development and Characteristics of Learners||14%||17|
|Planning and the Learning Environment||17%||20|
|Foundations and Professional Responsibilities||13%||16|
|Integrated Constructed-Response Questions||25%||3|
Registering and Preparing for the Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam
The Praxis Special Education (5543) exam is a computer-based test, which is administered at an official testing location. To register for the Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam, go to www.ets.org and navigate to the online registration page. You may also register by mail by downloading a request form. If you already have a Praxis account, you can register by phone, but there is a surcharge fee. You will need to pay for your exam with PayPal or a credit card at the time of registration. Before your test day, confirm your test location by logging into your Praxis account. On your scheduled test day, bring a printout of your admission ticket and government-issued ID to the test center 30 minutes early to allow time for the check-in procedure.
This course was designed by professional instructors to help you prepare specifically for the Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam. The engaging text and video lessons are aligned with sections of content on the test and cover all key words and products. Use the quizzes to self-evaluate your test readiness, and review lessons as many times as needed while you study for this exam. For more information on registering and preparing for the Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam, check out our Praxis Special Education (5543) Exam Informational Resources.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Special Education Course Information
- Web Content Manager: Education, Courses & Training
- Online Special Education Graduate Courses Overview
- Landscape Design Education: Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Classes in Special Education Teaching with Course Descriptions
- Online Early Childhood Special Education Classes and Courses
- Special Education Teaching Degree in Atlanta with Course Overviews
- Special Education Teaching Courses in Houston, TX with Degree Info
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Automobile Design Colleges and Courses
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses