- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 77
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Impact of Oral Language on Reading Development
This course can be found in: Praxis Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 70+ Praxis study guides, and 8,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryView the engaging lessons in this course to improve your readiness to take and pass the Praxis Teaching Reading test. Multiple-choice quizzes, practice exams and other study resources can boost your knowledge of important concepts and enhance your ability to answer questions on the test. This test was updated by Study.com in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
11 chapters in Praxis Teaching Reading Test (5204): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related Praxis Courses
About This Course
Study with flexibility and at your leisure with this engaging and self-paced test prep course that's modeled after the Praxis Teaching Reading exam. In this course, you'll find a series of educational lessons on subjects that are also found on the exam, including language development and methods for student assessment. Use the Dashboard to monitor your progress and send questions to our experts.
Check out our Praxis Preparation resources! We've got Praxis courses to teach you the material, comprehensive Praxis study guides to help you study, Praxis practice tests to test your knowledge, and Praxis informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This entertaining course offers a comprehensive overview of concepts you could see when taking the Praxis Teaching Reading test. To help you study, entertaining lessons offer in-depth analyses of topics that include language development, phonics, methods for teaching reading and phonological awareness. Paired with each lesson is a short quiz designed to assess your comprehension of the concepts it covers. After taking advantage of these resources, you should be able to complete the following objectives:
- Outline language development and language skills
- Discuss print awareness, one-to-one correspondence and emergent literacy
- Utilize phonological development and phonological awareness skills
- Explain syllables, phonics assessments and other phonics concepts
- Describe reading comprehension instruction and techniques
- Understand teaching language fluency and vocabulary
- Express knowledge of differentiated instruction and other methods for teaching reading
- Define formative assessments, reading intervention and other student assessments
We've compiled the information found in this study guide course into 69 lessons and 10 chapters for your review. Our lessons are accompanied by quizzes, and there are tests at the end of the chapters for quick self-assessment.
Praxis Teaching Reading Test Exam Information
The Praxis Teaching Reading test is used to help entry-level reading teachers secure licensure and current teachers add a reading endorsement to an existing license. The computer-based subject test covers five essential components of effective reading instruction: phonics, fluency, vocabulary, comprehension and phonemic awareness.
- Number of Questions: 93
- Question Type: 90 selected-response and three constructed-response questions
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Exam Cost: $146
Praxis Teaching Reading Test Exam Breakdown
|Praxis Teaching Reading TestExam Concept||Percent of the Praxis Teaching Reading Test Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Emergent Literacy||12%||15 questions||10|
|Phonological Awareness||12%||14 questions||5|
|Alphabetical Principle/Phonics & Word Analysis||12%||14 questions||8|
|Comprehension & Fluency||25%||20 questions||16|
|Instructional Processes||25%||3 questions||18|
Praxis Teaching Reading Test Preparation & Registration
Feel confident in your ability to succeed on the Praxis Teaching Reading test by taking advantage of the study resources in this course. Review the short lessons to gain full comprehension of linguistics concepts, scaffolding reading instruction, prosody, the use of technology in the classroom and much more. Find out how much you understand about these concepts by taking short lesson quizzes, practice chapter exams and a comprehensive course exam. All resources in this course are available 24/7 via any computer or mobile device.
Individuals interested in registering for the Praxis Teaching Reading test can do so online, by mail or over the phone. During this process, you can choose your test date and center and make your payment. On the day of the test, be sure to arrive at least 30 minutes early, and bring a valid photo ID and your admission ticket. If you need to reschedule or cancel your test, you'll have to do it at least three full days before the day of your test.
Praxis is a registered trademark of Educational Testing Service, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Praxis Test Preparation & Resources
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- The Best Way to Study for Your Praxis Test
- GED Sample Test Questions and Answers
- Strategies & Tips to Help You Pass Your Praxis Test
- Reading & Writing Tests
- GED Practice Test Information and Resources on the Internet
- How to Study for AP Tests
- Study.com Updates
- GED Practice Test Online with Example GED Practice Test Questions
- Computer Programming Degrees Top School for Becoming a Computer Programmer - Cleveland OH
- Clinical Pharmacist Assistants Information About a Career As a Clinical Pharmacy Aide or Pharmacist Assistant
- High School Guidance Counselor Requirements
- Networking Degree Top School with Degrees in Networking and Telecommunications Technology - Minneapolis MN
- Terrazzo Worker Job Description and Info About a Career As a Terrazzo Worker
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses