- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 83
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
Course SummaryEarn a Precalculus Certificate in just a few weeks with this fun, interactive course. Just watch our short video lessons and take our quizzes and final exam to get a certificate you can use as a stepping stone to more advanced mathematics educational courses.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Earn a Precalculus Certificate in just a couple of weeks by watching fun and concise video lessons that introduce fundamental precalculus concepts in an engaging manner. After watching these short lessons, you can take quick quizzes to gauge your comprehension of logarithmic functions, quadratic equations, piecewise functions and more.
Who's This For?
This precalculus certificate course can help individuals who have never studied calculus examine introductory concepts in this field. Computer programmers, engineers and other professionals who want to refresh their knowledge of precalculus concepts might also find this course useful.
Prerequisites aren't necessary for this course.
Benefits of the Certificate
Whether you're looking to move up in your career or just want to learn new skills, this course can help you. Some benefits include:
- Serves as a useful stepping stone to a more advanced calculus course.
- Provides you with a foundation in concepts like complex numbers and properties of functions.
- Shows employers that you're committed to continuing education and have a solid background in basic math principles.
- Enhances your LinkedIn profile and resume.
Precalculus Program Breakdown
This chapter teaches you how to use function notation, shift graphs on a plane and perform function operations.
Evaluating Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
Examine graphs of exponential growth and decay, and learn to graph logarithmic functions. This chapter also introduces you to logarithmic properties and methods for solving exponential and logarithmic equations.
Learn to graph 1- and 2-variable inequalities as well as absolute value inequalities. Examine systems of inequalities and compound inequalities.
Foundations and Linear Equations
Go back to the basics in this chapter, which covers the different types of numbers and parts of a graph. Learn to write linear equations, graph undefined slopes and use a system of equations.
Graphing and Rational Equations
Learn to graph reflections, find the least common denominator and solve rational equations in this chapter.
Factoring and Graphing Quadratic Equations
Examine parabolas in standard, intercept and vertex form. Learn to use FOIL and solve quadratic equations.
Exponents and Polynomials
This chapter teaches you to define zero and negative exponents, simplify expressions with exponents and divide polynomials using long and synthetic division.
Piecewise and Composite Functions
Learn to find the domain of piecewise functions and graph them. This chapter also covers techniques for translating piecewise functions and manipulating functions.
Geometry and Trigonometry
Discover methods for visualizing geometry problems and calculating the volume of spheres and pyramids. Learn how to find distance with the Pythagorean Theorem and graph sines and cosines.
Using Scientific Calculators
This chapter teaches you how to use a scientific calculator to solve equations.
Finish up this course by graphing sine, cosine and tangent functions as well as their transformations. Learn to solve trigonometric equations for x, use the double angle formula and identify properties of special right triangles.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- What Are Certification Classes and Certification Courses
- Orderly: Courses, Training & Certification
- Online Certificate Courses: How Do They Work?
- HR Certification Programs and Courses
- CSS Certification and Certificate Programs with Course Information
- Phlebotomy Certification and Certificate Programs with Course Info
- Online Certificate Courses for an MBA in Finance
- Ethical Hacker: Courses, Training & Certification
- IV Certification Classes and Courses Overview
- IV Certification in California with Course Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses