- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 141
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Management in Organizations: Top, Middle & Low-Level Managers
Course SummaryThis Principles of Management Certificate course can increase your business management knowledge and help you earn a certificate you can use to highlight your skills to potential employers. This process only takes a couple of weeks and involves watching our fun video lessons and taking multiple-choice quizzes.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Take just two weeks to earn a Principles of Management Certificate by watching entertaining and informative video lessons that make learning fundamental management skills easy and fun. Find out about different schools of management theory and various types of organizational design. Examine leadership strategies and learn how to communicate effectively in the workplace.
Who's This For?
Aspiring managers who want additional training on management and leadership styles can take this course along with business leaders, small business owners and other professionals who want to enhance their existing knowledge of essential management principles.
No prerequisites are needed for this course, so you can get started watching the lessons right away.
Benefits of the Certificate
Implement the skills you acquire from this course into both your personal and professional life:
- Concepts covered in this course, such as communication and motivation skills, are useful if your job requires interacting with others on a regular basis.
- You can add this certificate to your online profile to showcase your knowledge of essential business management topics.
- Use your certificate to demonstrate your willingness to pursue continuing education throughout your career.
Principles of Management Program Breakdown
This chapter introduces you to the three levels of management and four functions of management as well as Henry Mintzberg's ten roles of management.
Classical School of Management Theory
Learn about the different types of management. Discover the theories of Max Weber, Fredrick Taylor, Henry Gantt and Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, among others.
Behavioral School of Management Theory
Examine the neoclassical theory of management, behavioral management theory, the Hawthorne effect, needs theory and the two types of managers.
Contemporary and Future School of Management Theory
This chapter covers the modern theory of management along with the quantitative, contingency and quality schools of management theory.
Planning in Organizations
Learn the different types of planning and find out about SWOT analyses and company mission statements.
Examine the four types of internal organizational change, the planned change process, Lewin's 3-state model of change and Kotter's 8-step change model of management.
Organizing in Business Management
This chapter teaches you about organizational design, mechanistic and organic organizational structures, work specialization in organizations and authority. You'll also learn about different types of traditional and contemporary organizational design.
Learn about employee categories, types of work teams and stages of group development. Find out how cohesive groups are formed, why teams encounter conflict and what groupthink is.
Leading in Organizations
See the differences between leaders and managers and learn characteristics of different leadership types. Examine the Blake Mouton Managerial Grid and explore types of positional and personal power.
Study Fiedler's contingency theory, Hersey-Blanchard's model of situational leadership, the Path-Goal theory and Machiavellianism.
Motivation in the Workplace
Examine workplace motivation theories, reward systems, job redesign methods, job flexibility and employee empowerment strategies.
Communication in the Workplace
Explore steps in the communication process and the different types of communication. Learn about conflict resolution and intervention methods before examining the roles of perception and bias in behavior interpretation.
Controlling in Organizations
Study organizational and financial controls in the workplace. Look at marketing, budget, information and human resource controls.
This chapter covers the hiring process, training programs, HR laws and regulations, employee compensation and collective bargaining.
Strategic Management and Managerial Decision Making
Rediscover the four functions of management and find out how the decision-making process works in organizations. Learn about influences on managerial decision making, the uses of a PERT analysis and tools for making quantitative decisions.
Production and Quality Assurance
Learn how to implement the five principles of total quality management. Examine the purpose of ISO 9000 certification.
International Management and Contemporary Issues
Explore the characteristics of international managers and find out how companies can go global. Learn about regional integrations and methods for managing a diverse workforce. Business ethics and social responsibility are also covered.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Business Management Certifications and Certificate Programs
- Business Administration Certification in HR Management
- Master's Certificate in Business Management & Administration
- Online Business Management Certificate Programs
- E-Business Management Certificate Program Information
- Online Security Management Certificate Programs and Courses
- Online Courses for a Certificate in Culinary Arts Management
- Computerized Business Management: Certificate Program Overview
- Cosmetology Business Management Degree and Certificate Programs
- Restaurant Business Management Certificate Programs in NY
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts