- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 94
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Credit: Yes
Earn transferable credit by taking this course for credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Introduction to Marketing: Definition and Applications
Course SummaryBusiness 102: Principles of Marketing has been evaluated and recommended for 3 semester hours and may be transferred to over 2,000 colleges and universities. You'll learn from expert instructors who break down the basics of marketing in a way that's easy to understand. Take this course to get ahead on your degree.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
The course objective of Business 102 is to examine the principles of marketing, including marketing philosophies, research, marketing channels, consumer behavior theory and pricing strategy.
Your grade for this course will be calculated out of 300 points. The minimum score required to pass and earn real college credit for this course is 210 points, or an overall course grade of 70%. The table below shows the assignments you must complete and how they'll be incorporated into the overall grade.
|Proctored Final Exam||200|
Quizzes are meant to test your comprehension of each lesson as you progress through the course. Here's a breakdown of how you will be graded on quizzes and how they'll factor into your final score:
- You will have 3 attempts to take each quiz for a score.
- The highest score of your first 3 attempts will be recorded as your score for each quiz.
- When you've completed the course, the highest scores from your first 3 attempts at each quiz will be averaged together and weighed against the total possible points for quizzes. For instance, if your average quiz score is 85%, you'll receive 85 out of 100 possible points for quizzes.
- After your initial 3 attempts, you can take a quiz for practice as many times as you'd like.
- You will need to pass each quiz with a score of at least 80% to earn course progress for the lesson. However, it is not necessary to earn 80% within the first three quiz attempts.
Proctored Final Exam
The proctored final exam is a cumulative test designed to ensure that you've mastered the material in the course.
- You'll earn points equivalent to the percentage grade you receive on your proctored final. (So if you earn 90% on the final, that's 180 points toward your final grade.)
- If you're unsatisfied with your score on the exam, you'll be eligible to retake the exam after a 3-day waiting period.
- You can only retake the exam twice, so be sure to use your study guide and fully prepare yourself before you take the exam again.
Items Allowed on Study.com Proctored Exam for Business 102:
- Blank scratch paper
- Pen or pencil
Items NOT Allowed on Study.com Proctored Exam for Business 102:
- Office programs, web browsers, or any programs other than Software Secure (including Study.com lessons)
- Textbooks (digital or physical)
- Mobile phones, headphones, speakers, TVs, or radios
- Notebooks or notes
- Any calculators
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Diagram and analyze the 4 Ps of marketing: product, place, price, and promotion
- Explain and evaluate marketing philosophies, including market and sales orientation
- Illustrate how marketers establish and analyze competitive advantage
- Analyze global marketing and diagram concerns about marketing in foreign markets
- Model consumer behavior theory and the decision-making process
- Differentiate between business and consumer marketing
- Diagram product life cycles and the process for creating new products
- Demonstrate comprehension of and differentiate between services and goods
- Differentiate between promotion, advertising, and public relations
- Distinguish between relationship selling and traditional methods
There are no prerequisites for this course, but many students choose to complete Business 101: Principles of Management prior to Principles of Marketing.
Business 102 consists of short video lessons that are organized into topical chapters. Each video is approximately 5-10 minutes in length and comes with a quick quiz to help you measure your learning. The course is completely self-paced. Watch lessons on your schedule whenever and wherever you want.
At the end of each chapter, you can complete a chapter test to see if you're ready to move on or have some material to review. Once you've completed the entire course, take the practice test and use the study tools in the course to prepare for the proctored final exam. You may take the proctored final exam whenever you are ready.
How Credit Recommendations Work
This course has been evaluated and recommended by both ACE and NCCRS for 3 semester hours in the lower division baccalaureate degree category. To apply for transfer credit, follow these steps:
- If you already have a school in mind, check with the registrar to see if the school will grant credit for courses recommended by either ACE or NCCRS.
- Complete Business 102 by watching video lessons and taking short quizzes.
- Take the Business 102 final exam directly on the Study.com site.
- Request a transcript to be sent to the accredited school of your choice!
- Check out this page for more information on Study.com's credit-recommended courses.
|Marketing Philosophies and Ethics||Examine the meaning of marketing, as well as sales, societal marketing, marketing and product orientation. Discuss marketing ethics and cause-related marketing.|
|Competitive Advantage||Dig into strategic marketing and competitive advantage. Learn the components of situation analysis (SWOT), see ways to identify strategic alternatives in marketing and get information on target market strategies.|
|The Marketing Environment||Explore external influences on marketing, including values, beliefs and attitudes. Get information on domestic and foreign competition and marketing's political and legal environment.|
|International Marketplace||Examine global marketing strategies, including Internet marketing, as well as the ways economics, technology, demographics and natural resources influence international external marketing. Look at the 4 P's of marketing and the international marketing mix.|
|Consumer Decision Making||Discover how consumer behavior factors into marketing strategies with lesson on consumer psychology and cognitive dissonance and the post-purchase process. Learn about types of consumer buying decisions and influences on consumer behavior.|
|Business Marketing and Marketing Research||Explore the differences in business marketing and consumer marketing. Find out about the role of marketing research and how to set up a marketing research project.|
|Segmentation and Product Marketing||Define market segments and positioning and why they are important. Categorize types of consumer products, and look at branding and brand equity.|
|Managing a Product and Retailing||Discover the steps in developing and marketing new products. Learn about different types of 'new' products, the role of retailing in marketing and the difference in a traditional and a retail marketing mix.|
|Services Marketing, Marketing Channels & Supply Chain Management||See the difference between goods and services, and learn how marketing strategies differ for non-profit and for-profit entities. Define marketing channel and how it is used.|
|Promotion, Advertising and Public Relations||Explore the role of advertising, public relations and promotions in marketing. Learn about integrated marketing communication and its role in the marketing plan.|
|Selling and Pricing Strategy||Get information on relationship selling and how it differs from traditional methods. Examine the steps in the sales process, supply and demand, pricing philosophies and influences on pricing.|
Learn more about the College Accelerator Plan
Confirm College Accelerator Upgrade?
- Unlimited access to all video lessons
- Lesson Transcripts
- Tech support
- Practice quizzes & tests
- Tools for tracking progress
- Personalized coaching
- Access to instructors
- Certificates of Completion
- Create Custom Courses
- Earn college credit
- Take two exams per month
- Finish official exams remotely
- Learn more
By upgrading now, you will immediately have access to all features associated with your new plan. Because the change is in the middle of your billing cycle, your next charge will include the prorated amount for the rest of this month. For more info check our FAQ's.
What to Expect For the Exam
This Study.com course has been evaluated and recommended for college credit. Once you've completed this course, you can take the proctored final exam and potentially earn credit. Follow the steps below to take the exam.
Before taking the exam, all of the following requirements must be met:
|A College Accelerator Study.com membership.|
|Completed all lessons in Business 102: Principles of Marketing course and achieved 100% Quiz Progress.|
|Not attempted to take this exam within the last three days.|
|Have available proctored exams in this month of membership.|
|Have not taken this exam three times. (0/3)|
|Complete the exam readiness quiz.|
Please meet all of the pre-requirements in the Pre-Exam Checklist in order to take the exam.
Exam Process Details
1. Register For Exam
Registering for the exam is simple. First, be sure you meet the system requirements. Next, you'll need to agree to the academic integrity policy. Then just confirm your name and the exam name, and you're ready to go!
2. Download Software Secure
You'll receive an unique access code. Please write this down — you'll need it to take the exam. Then download Software Secure and follow the installation instructions.
3. Take Exam
The exam contains 50 - 100 multiple choice questions. You will have two hours to complete the exam, so don't start until you're sure you can complete the entire thing. And remember to pace yourself!
4. Get Exam Results
We will send you an email with your official exam results within 1 to 2 weeks. If you would like to raise your grade after receiving your exam results, you can retake quizzes with fewer than 3 attempts. You will then need to retake the final exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Hawaii Marketing Universities with Course and Degree Overviews
- Is Transferring From Community College to a University Easy?
- Marketing Colleges in Tennessee with Course and Degree Summaries
- Top University in Indianapolis for Business Marketing Degrees
- Durham Business Marketing Colleges with Degree Summaries
- Business Marketing Schools in Dallas with Degree and Course Info
- Business Marketing Degrees in New York City with Course Info
- Top Ranked University Degree in Business Marketing - Seattle, WA
- New York Business Marketing Colleges with Degree Descriptions
- Top 50 Marketing Colleges and Universities
- Computer Security Top Rated School with Degrees in Computer and IT Security - Arlington VA
- Phd in Acupuncture
- Criminal Justice Degree Top Ranked Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement School - Stockton CA
- Top University for a Degree in Business Administration - Irvine CA
- Online Mortgage Broker Licensing and Training Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses
Request more information
Get in contact with one of our transfer advisors to learn how to earn transferable college credit for Business 102: Principles of Marketing.