- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 75
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is the Purpose of Public Education?
Course SummaryUse the entertaining lessons and teacher resources in this informative course to get a comprehensive overview of professional learning communities in education. In no time, you will have the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully develop and maintain PLCs in your school.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This self-paced course closely examines learning theories, team building, goal setting and other important concepts associated with professional learning communities (PLCs). Engaging lessons also describe tools to make PLCs successful and select systematic interventions. Quizzes and exams are available to check your knowledge and gauge your readiness to apply these concepts in the workplace.
How It Works
All lessons, assessments and additional teacher resources in this course are accessible around-the-clock using any smartphone, tablet or computer. Study from any location with an Internet connection whenever your work or personal schedule permits.
This course offers:
- Bite-sized lessons developed by teachers for teachers that delve into the most important aspects of professional learning communities in education
- Multiple-choice quizzes designed to check your knowledge of concepts covered in each lesson
- Practice exams you can use to feel confident in your overall knowledge of each chapter and the entire course
- Access to subject-matter experts who can clarify details presented in the lessons
How It Helps
- Teaches the basics: Lessons ensure you understand important definitions and concepts associated with professional learning communities, like social constructivism, the PDSA and collaborative scoring.
- Reduces research time: This course helps you save time and energy researching tips and strategies for developing or improving your professional learning community.
- Strengthens collaborative efforts: Our instructors closely examine ways you can successfully work in collaboration with other educators to create and support PLCs.
- Improves student learning: By utilizing the teacher resources in this course, you will have the knowledge and skills needed to create a quality PLC and effectively improve the performance of your school and students.
- Identify common concepts considered essential to student learning
- Describe and discuss the importance of professional learning communities
- Define important learning theories and discuss their importance in PLCs
- List and describe tools and skills necessary for effective PLCs
- Discuss the characteristics necessary for successful collaborative teams
- Explain the process of setting a school-wide vision and goals
- Detail the stages of conflict and consensus building in PLCs
- Outline the process of selecting systematic interventions in schools
- Share the importance of using data and assessments in PLCs to measure school and student performance
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- World Possible Brings Education Resources to Developing Communities
- Life Skills Resources for Teachers
- Professional Development Courses for Teachers
- Teachers: How to Find Time For Professional Development
- New Jersey Schools with Professional Development Courses in Education
- Adult Education in Connecticut with Course and School Overviews
- What Is Inquiry-Based Learning? | Definition & Resources for Teachers
- Professional Skills
- Continuing Education for Nurses Online: Course and School Overview
- Early Childhood Education Courses in AZ with School Overviews
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses