- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 104
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Why Study Psychology? - Overview & Experiments
Course SummaryDemonstrate your understanding of psychology topics to future employers with this fun certificate program. In just a few weeks, you can earn an Introduction to Psychology Certificate by watching our short video lessons to boost your knowledge and taking multiple-choice quizzes and chapter tests.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Earn your Intro to Psychology Certificate in less than two weeks through fun and engaging video lessons that bring psychology concepts to life. You'll learn how memory distortion can lead people to remember events very differently from how they actually happened and how to use classical conditioning to influence behavior.
Who's This For?
This course could benefit individuals involved with teaching, social services, consumer relations, or any profession that involves daily interactions with people.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
Benefits of the Certificate
A variety of benefits can result from completion of this course. You can:
- Appeal to current and potential employers by demonstrating your mastery of psychology concepts
- Potentially use this certificate to fulfill continuing education requirements
- Improve your social and professional interactions
- Strengthen your decision-making skills
Intro to Psychology Program Breakdown
The Intro to Psychology program is divided into 13 chapters. You'll start with a high-level overview of the study of psychology and then go deep into different areas of the field, such as learning and personality.
History and Approaches
This chapter starts with the definition of psychology and the history of the field. Learn different approaches and specializations used by psychologists over the last 150 years and understand the ethics of conducting experiments in psychology.
Biological Bases of Behavior
In this chapter, learn how the brain, nervous system, and endocrine system influence human behavior. This chapter includes details on the parts of the brain and other aspects of anatomy and physiology.
Sensation and Perception
This chapter teaches you about the five senses: taste, touch, smell, sight, and sound. You'll learn how the senses influence behavior as well as the scientific basis for how they work, such as the mechanics of hearing.
States of Consciousness
This chapter covers the spectrum of the states of consciousness, from dreaming to being under the influence of psychoactive drugs. You'll also learn about hypnosis, meditation and why we dream.
You'll learn the several different ways that humans learn behaviors and how outside conditions can reinforce these behaviors.
One of the most interesting topics in psychology is how we think, and these lessons cover everything from language acquisition to memory to intelligence testing.
Motivation and Emotion
Learn why humans get hungry, the different types of emotions we experience, and how the fight or flight response works.
Over the course of this chapter, you'll learn about prenatal development all the way up to the different parenting styles of adults. You'll also learn about different aspects of development, including cognitive and moral development.
What really influences personality? These lessons cover the genetic and environmental influences on human personality as well as the different ways to evaluate personality.
Social psychology covers the different ways humans interact with each other and the outside world. The lessons in this chapter will teach you about different aspects of this field, including attraction and aggression.
Psychological Disorders and Health
This chapter provides an overview of various psychological disorders and mental illnesses. Learn about the main types of disorders as well as a few specific mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia.
In this chapter, you'll learn the different strategies psychologists use to treat the disorders you learned about in the previous chapter. These lessons cover techniques such as group therapy and treatment through drugs.
Statistics, Tests and Measurement
Wrap up your Intro to Psychology certificate with an overview of psychology research methods and statistics, including types of research designs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Forensic Psychology Certification and Certificate Program Summaries
- Psychology Certificate, Certification and Diploma Program Overviews
- Child Psychology Certification: Program Summary
- Graduate Certificate Programs in Psychology Online
- Online Certificate in Forensic Psychology with Program Overviews
- Certificate Programs in Health Psychology: Education Information
- Graduate Certificate in Business Psychology: Program Information
- Medical Psychology Programs: Degree and Certificate Overviews
- Criminal Psychology Degree and Certificate Program Overviews
- Clinical Child Psychology Training and Certificate Programs
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses