- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 78
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is the PTE Academic Test?
Course SummaryReview basic reading, writing, listening and speaking practices and concepts using this extensive study guide. This course is designed to address all of the information you would need to know when taking the Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic test.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Overview of the PTE Academic Listening Section|
About This Course
This course employs the use of video and text lessons to discuss speaking and writing tips, grammar, reading strategies and details about the listening process. Lessons provide details about strategies and how to apply them to writing, speaking, reading and listening tasks. All of this information is covered in the PTE Academic test. Once you have completed your review of this course, you should have a better understanding of the following:
- Developing a pace and managing mistakes when speaking
- Structuring and writing essays, theses and arguments
- Word spelling and patterns
- Grammatical rules
- Analyzing reading selections
- Ways to improve listening skills
About the Exam
PTE Academic is an exam used in worldwide academic applications to determine the English abilities of students wishing to study abroad. It is also used for immigration purposes to test individuals submitting visa applications. The test is comprised of three sections: Speaking & Writing, Reading and Listening. Candidates have a total of three hours to complete this computer-based exam. Question formats range from multiple-choice, essay writing, short-answer and information interpretation. The exam is scored on a range of 10-90; a score of at least 50 is needed to indicate competency in the tested areas.
PTE Academic Exam Preparation & Registration
Refer to this comprehensive study guide if you're looking for a quick and effective way to prepare for the PTE Academic test. You will find lessons covering practices such as reading aloud and describing images that can help develop strong speaking skills, writing effective conclusions to essays, using the right words, proofreading, and understanding rules relating to punctuation, capitalization, nouns and pronouns, clauses, verb tense, conjunctions and sentence agreement. You will also learn techniques for finding the main idea of a story, using reading visualization, inferring intended meaning and identifying writing structure. In addition, you will review ways in which to listen for signal words, transitions, accents, facts and opinions, tone and attitude. Lessons take less than 10 minutes to review and can be accessed at all times, from any device, so studying is self-paced and convenient for your schedule. Short self-assessment quizzes determine if you have fully grasped the material addressed in each lesson.
To schedule yourself to take this exam, you must create an account on the Pearson PTE website. Once you have completed the online registration process and made payment of exam fees, you will be sent a confirmation email noting the date, time and location of your exam. You must present the required forms of ID on the day of the exam to be admitted at the test site. Registration can also be completed by phone.
PTE Academic is a registered trademark of Pearson Education Limited, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- Reading & Writing Tests
- English for Internet: Listening, Pronunciation, Reading, and Writing
- Everything You Need to Know About AP Tests: Deadlines, Scoring Policies & More
- Tips for Taking a Praxis Test As a Non-Native English Speaker
- EFI: English for Internet Online Practice Tests
- GED in Spanish: Information on Taking the GED Test in Spanish
- Software Testing Degree and Course Information
- GED Social Studies Test Information
- GED Practice Test Information and Resources on the Internet
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses