- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 61
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Public Speaking and Why Do I Need to Do It?
Course SummaryThis Public Speaking Study Guide course is the simplest way to master public speaking. When you have completed these lessons you will better understand how to speak effectively, capture an audience's attention and how to plan your speech.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from public speaking will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding in basics of researching a speech, choosing a type of speech, writing for a particular audience, delivering the speech, or any other public speaking topic.
- Need an efficient way to learn public speaking.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra social science learning resources at school.
How It Works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Confirm your understanding through lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Public Speaking final exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
In this course, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are reasons I should learn public speaking?
- How are ethics important when making a speech?
- When are certain types of speeches appropriate?
- How is critical thinking useful when crafting a speech?
- What do I need to know about my audience?
- How should I organize what I want to say?
- What are some tips for delivering a solid speech?
- How can I become an effective listener?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Public Speaking Career Information
- Master Degree in Public Speaking: Program Overviews
- Public Speaking Schools and Colleges in the U.S.
- Public Speaking Training Programs and Requirements
- Public Speaking Degree Program Information
- Flashcards - Fundamentals of Writing & Public Speaking
- Careers for People Who Hate Public Speaking
- Public Speaking Courses in New Jersey with School Information
- Education Your Way: Study.com Speaks with a Part-Homeschool, Part-Public School Parent
- Your Information Expert: Study.com Speaks With a Public Librarian
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses