- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 125
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Research? - Definition, Purpose & Typical Researchers
Course SummaryBrush up on the latest research with our flexible Research Methods in Psychology for Teachers course. Review our short video and text lessons at your convenience to earn credits you can apply to your teaching license renewal requirements.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
15 chapters in Research Methods in Psychology for Teachers: Professional Development
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
How It Works
Earn professional development credits to renew your social science teaching license with Research Methods in Psychology for Teachers. Brush up on research methods in psychology topics so you can better teach social psychology, abnormal psychology, and other psychology topics. Learn on your own schedule and at your own pace. You can complete this course in under two weeks - perfect for teachers who need to earn social science credits in a hurry!
- Watch engaging video lessons about data collection techniques and experimental design.
- Check your knowledge of things like qualitative research methods and inferential statistics with practice quizzes and exams.
- Ask clarification questions from our expert social science instructors.
- Earn 3 college credits by taking the UExcel Research Methods in Psychology exam.
Always check with your school district or state Department of Education to ensure that the course credits will be accepted before beginning the course. UExcel credits are accepted by over 2,000 schools and directly by many state departments of education.
Who's It For?
Research Methods in Psychology for Teachers is ideal for any teachers looking to earn credits to use toward licensure renewal. The flexible, self-paced format makes it easy to fit your studies into a busy schedule. The course is fully online, so you can study anytime, anywhere. This course also benefits:
- Psychology and sociology teachers who want to brush up on research methods in psychology
- Teachers who want to incorporate engaging psychology research methods videos into their instruction
- Teachers planning a psychology research methods unit or course
- Aspiring social science teachers
Why It Works
- Fun and Engaging: Animations and interesting examples make research methods in psychology easy to learn.
- Expert Instructors: Expert social science instructors break difficult concepts down so they are easy to remember.
- Practice Makes Perfect: Quizzes and practice exams let you review psychology research methods terminology and key concepts and track what you've mastered.
- Quick and Flexible: Learn on your own schedule and on any device. You could earn social science credits in less than two weeks.
- Access our full library of professional development courses for teachers, including Psychology of Adulthood and Aging for Teachers, Social Psychology for Teachers, and Life Span Developmental Psychology for Teachers.
- Find 10,000 engaging lessons that you can use in your classroom or assign out to students.
- Watch more lessons in research methods in psychology as well as sociology, anthropology, counseling, and other social science topics.
- Earn transferable college credit for dozens of courses.
Evaluate This Course
After you've worked through all or part of the course, please share your feedback with us! We take the quality of our lessons and courses very seriously and appreciate any comments on how we can improve your experience. If you'd like to let us know how effective you found this course, please fill out our survey by clinking on this link.
Course Plan for Earning Credit in Less Than Two Weeks
Follow this course plan if you want to complete Research Methods in Psychology for Teachers and be ready to earn transferable credit in less than two weeks. For each chapter assignment, take all of the lesson quizzes and the practice chapter exam at the end of each chapter. If you miss any questions, review the video lesson to master the concept.
|Day||Assignment||What You'll Learn|
|Day 1||Chapter 1||Introduction to Research Methods (the scientific method, psychological research tools, basic and applied research, non-experimental and experimental research)|
|Day 2||Chapter 2||Principles of Ethical Research (informed consent in research, risks of research, research misconduct, animal subjects in research)|
|Day 3||Chapter 3||Setting Up the Research Study (inductive vs. deductive reasoning, research variables, primary and secondary research, samples and population)|
|Day 4||Chapter 4||Data Collection Techniques in Psychology (surveys, content analysis, observational and field research, archival research)|
|Day 5||Chapter 5||Nonexperimental Research (survey research, correlational research, the raw score method)|
|Day 6|| Chapter 6|
| Qualitative Research Methods and Design (case study design, ethnographic research, historical research design, grounded theory design)|
Quasi-Experimental Research (ex post facto designs, longitudinal designs, cross-sectional designs)
|Day 7||Chapter 8||Sampling and Generalization (probability sampling methods, issues in probability, sample size)|
|Day 8||Chapter 9||Measurement in Research (difference between qualitative and quantitative measurement, conceptualization and operationalization, scales of measurement, types of tests)|
|Day 9||Chapter 10||Internal Validity in Research (extraneous and compounding variables, variables that affect internal validity, threats to internal validity)|
|Day 10||Chapter 11||External Validity (threats to external validity, requirements of external validity, methods for increasing external validity)|
|Day 11||Chapter 12||Experimental Design (random assignment in research, control groups, two-group experimental designs, factorial design, carryover effects)|
|Day 12|| Chapter 13|
| Descriptive Statistics in Psychology (frequency distributions; mean, median, and mode; measures of variability)|
Inferential Statistics in Psychology (hypothesis testing, statistical significance, chi-square test, t-tests)
|Day 13||Chapter 15||Evaluating Research Findings (drawing conclusions based on internal validity, limits of generalization, interpreting non-significant outcomes)|
|Day 14||Final Exam||Take the practice final exam to see what you've mastered and make sure you are ready to earn credit for research methods in psychology|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Ohio Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Minnesota Teaching License Renewal Requirements
- Iowa Teacher License Renewal Requirements
- Oregon Teaching License Renewal
- Nevada Teacher License Renewal
- Utah Teacher License Renewal
- Hawaii Teacher License Renewal
- New Mexico Teaching License Renewal
- Colorado Substitute Teacher License Renewal
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses