- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 104
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Scientific Method: Steps, Terms & Examples
Course SummaryThis collection of resources is designed to help special education instructors develop research methods in the field. The topics covered in this course can be used to better understand special education student needs and plan the most effective lessons and classroom activities.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course helps special education teachers learn and improve their educational research methods. Taught by subject matter experts, the course breaks down the foundations of research in education, as well as methods, techniques and tools that are used to collect/measure data and interpret research results. The course also evaluates current ethical research issues.
How It Works
This comprehensive course includes engaging video lessons that outline the core components of educational research techniques, methods and tools. The chapter can be accessed at any time of day or night, which allows you to study whenever you have free time. Use any computer or mobile device to access the lessons, and be sure to take the accompanying lesson quizzes and chapter exams to make sure you fully understand the course material.
The course includes:
- Informative video and text-based lessons that outline important information related to special education research
- An interactive course Dashboard to help you navigate to lessons and monitor your progress throughout the course
- Printable lesson transcripts that you can study offline
- Self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to help reinforce your understanding of key lesson topics and terms
- Expert instructors who are available to answer your questions
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: You'll become more aware of current issues related to ethical research, as well as other concepts that help you better interpret special education research
- Teaches proper research design: The course outlines the components several research design types.
- Optimizes special education instruction: This course helps you apply your understanding of special education research methods to better understand the needs of your students and adapt your instruction.
- Understanding the foundations of educational research
- Knowing how to develop research plans
- Identifying data collection techniques and methods
- Explaining single-subject, experimental and quasi-experimental research designs
- Evaluating sampling, generalization and measurements in research
- Comparing internal and external validity in research
- Differentiating between descriptive and inferential statistics
- Recognizing qualitative research design and methods
- Analyzing current issues in ethical research
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Masters Programs for Special Education Instructors
- Special Education Course Information
- Become a Special Collections Librarian: Education and Career Roadmap
- What Can You Do With a Masters in Special Education?
- Online Special Education Graduate Courses Overview
- How Bullying Impacts Special Needs Students
- You Can Advocate Effectively for Your Special Needs Students!
- How to Become a Special Education Teacher in Indiana
- Special Education Certification in Connecticut
- How to Become a Special Education Teacher in Georgia
- Assisted Living Manager Training and Degree Program Info
- Game Programming Career Training in Minneapolis
- Elementary School Administration Career Options and Requirements
- Advanced Nurse Practitioner Education Program Options
- Master of Business Administration MBA Advanced Marketing Strategy Degree Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses