- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 135
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Content-Based Instruction: Definition & Example
This course can be found in: RICA Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 50+ RICA study guides, and 4,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis course offers informative and engaging lessons that address the domains covered on the RICA exam. You can access the course any time that's convenient, and it includes practice quizzes to help you master the concepts that you'll encounter on the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
To prove you possess necessary training and knowledge in the field of reading instruction, you will need to pass the RICA exam, and this study guide course will give you all the tools you need to be ready for your exam. To cover all five domains addressed on the exam, our instructors have built this course with a multitude of chapters. Every chapter covers a major concept, but we break it up further with short, engaging lessons that help you review one topic at a time. These include teaching phonemic awareness, organizing your reading instruction and promoting literary comprehension.
Check out our RICA test prep materials! We've got a RICA course to teach you the material, a comprehensive RICA study guide to help you study, RICA practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational RICA resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The lessons you'll study here are aligned with the topics you'll find on the RICA exam. Work at your own pace as you review strategies for supporting reading comprehension and factors that influence vocabulary development. We offer you this course to guide you as you learn to do the following:
- Understand reading instruction organizing and planning
- Implement assessments in reading instruction
- Promote phonemic and phonological awareness
- Address the various reading needs of students
- Outline the Alphabetic Principle and letter recognition
- Effectively teach phonics and sight words
Made up of 15 chapters and 124 lessons, this engaging course is provided in a self-paced format so you can review as little or as much as you need. We've also included a quiz with each lesson and a test with each chapter to help you keep track of your progress and knowledge.
RICA Exam Information
The purpose of the RICA exam is to evaluate the reading instruction skills of special education and multi-subject credentialed educators. Individuals can elect to choose either the written version of the test or the video performance assessment version.
- Number of Questions: 75 questions
- Question Type: 70 multiple-choice questions, four focused tasks, one case study
- Time Limit: Four hours
- Exam Cost: $171
Preparing & Registering for the RICA Exam
Since there are so many different types of questions to prepare for, our study materials offer you the best game plan possible. We have lessons available on every topic that you will be tested on. If you want to go through all the lessons one by one, you have that option, or you can pick and choose the topics in which you need the most review. To determine how ready you are for the actual RICA exam, try out our assessment tools, including lesson quizzes, chapter exams, and a final course exam.
To register for the RICA exam, you must first decide whether you want to take the written version or the video assessment version, as each type has different registration requirements. To register for the written exam, you will need to create an account through the California Educator Credentialing Examinations site and go through the registration steps. For the video assessment version, you will need to first send in a request to obtain the registration form, then follow the instructions on that form. Recognize that there are very specific registration deadlines for the video assessment version of the exam.
Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA) is a registered trademark of the Commission on Teacher Credentialing and Pearson Education, Inc., which are not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Access Classes, Courses and Training Programs
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Compass Exams
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Microsoft Access Classes and Courses with Detailed Descriptions
- How Tech Can Help Teachers Create Engaging Lesson Plans
- List of Free Guitar Courses and Lessons
- Claims Examiner Courses and Classes Overview
- Medical Examiner Courses and Classes Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses