- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 60
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Structure of the SAT Reading Section: Structure, Patterns & Scoring
Course SummaryTest your reading comprehension and literary analysis skills using the short video and text lessons comprising this SAT Reading test prep course. Review the lessons and take self-assessment quizzes to ensure your full understanding of this material prior to taking the Reading section of the SAT college entrance exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About The Course
This course's brief video lessons and quizzes make preparation for the SAT Reading section simple and fun. Get practice for long reading passages as well as double reading passages. Learn valuable strategies for taking on the literature multiple-choice questions to save time in addition to tips for sentence completion. You can prepare for the SAT Reading section by completing our lessons on topics including:
- The SAT structure and test-taking tips
- Vocabulary building
- Reading passages on the SAT
- Literary analysis
- Literary terms
- Important documents of U.S. history
About the SAT
Many colleges and universities consider SAT scores in their admissions processes. The SAT's three sections include reading, writing and mathematics, and the total completion time is three hours and 50 minutes, which includes 50 minutes for the optional essay. The reading section of the exam tests your reading skill through analysis of reading passages and sentence completion. The SAT is administered approximately seven times annually in the United States and internationally a total of four times. Check the College Board website for updated information.
SAT Preparation and Registration
Assess your preparedness for the SAT Reading section by looking at the video lessons and taking the corresponding quizzes. In addition to offering a review of topics you'll encounter on the Reading section of the SAT, such as vocabulary words and text analysis, our lessons offer information on the test's structure and strategies for dealing with the Reading section.
SAT registration may be completed by mail or online. Items needed on the day of the SAT include an admission ticket, two No. 2 pencils, an eraser, photo ID and a calculator for the math section. The standard fee for the SAT includes a total of four score reports. There are additional fees for circumstances such as registering past the regular deadline or modifying the test center location or test date. Students who meet just one of numerous criteria may qualify for a free waiver.
SAT Reading Scoring and Score Reports
The SAT Reading section is scored according to a scale between 200 and 800 points. Questions that are skipped in the reading section do not affect your score. There is not a penalty for incorrect responses. Test takers receive their official score reports roughly two to five weeks following the exam date.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Flashcards - SAT Reading: About the Reading Section
- Flashcards - SAT Subject Test Literature: Reading and Understanding Essays
- Flashcards - ASSET Reading Skills Test: Reading Comprehension
- More Than Half of SAT Test-Takers Not Ready for College
- Flashcards - SAT Reading: Reading Passages
- Flashcards - ASSET Reading Skills Test: Understanding Context
- Flashcards - CUNY Assessment Test in Reading: Inference & Analysis
- Reading & Writing Tests
- Flashcards - Reading Comprehension & Skills
- Flashcards - Reading & Understanding a Text
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses