- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 89
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1About the SAT Writing Section: Structure, Patterns & Scoring
Course SummaryLearn more about the format and subjects on the SAT Writing test with this extensive study guide. Use short video lessons and self-assessment quizzes to review and test your understanding of ways to revise and improve your writing so you can earn the best score you can on the SAT Writing exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About The Course
Each topic that appears within the SAT's writing section on the test is covered in detail in this course. You can gauge your readiness for the SAT Writing section by taking self-assessment quizzes after viewing video lessons. Develop great familiarity with the variety of questions in the writing section, such as those pertaining to pinpointing sentence errors, making a sentence better or improving paragraph quality. Writing the optional essay on test day will be made easier with the course's helpful information on timing and strategy.
About the SAT
The SAT is a highly prevalent college admission test that is accepted by essentially all institutions of higher education. The SAT Writing and Language and optional Essay sections aim to assess your writing skill level to help determine college readiness. The SAT is offered approximately seven times per year -- from August October to June. Be sure to check the College Board website for up to date information on test times and locations.
SAT Registration and Preparation
The available options for test takers to register for the SAT include doing so either online or by mail. Phone registration requires an additional fee and is only permitted in the event that a prior registration was already completed. As part of the SAT fee, students receive four score reports to send to institutions of interest. Additional fees are required for late registration and test date modifications.
Watch videos and review text lessons up to the test day to maximize your preparation for the SAT Writing section. Items that are not permitted for the test include a variety of electronic devices such as pagers, laptops, smartphones and tablets. Needed items on test day consist of two No. 2 pencils, photo ID and an admission ticket.
SAT Writing Section Scoring and Score Reports
The Writing and Language section is scored on a scale ranging between 200 and 800 points. For the essay, test takers receive three essay subscores between 2 and 8. Test takers can see their score online and have the option to receive a score report through the mail as well. The score report includes a comparison to local test takers in addition those countrywide.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Should I Major in Creative Writing? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Reading & Writing Tests
- Resume Writing Guidelines Video
- How Important Is An SAT Score?
- Best PhD for Writing Careers
- Is IT Possible To Get Good ACT or SAT Scores Without Studying?
- How to Become a Writing Coach
- Learn Writing in the Blogosphere: Top 10 Writing Blogs
- What to Do if Your SAT Score Is Lower Than Expected
- Clinical Coordinator Certification and Certificate Program Information
- Security Officer Certification
- Network Management Course and Class Information
- Medical Office Management Top School for Becoming a Medical Office Specialist - San Antonio TX
- Holistic Personal Fitness Certification and Certificate Info
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses