- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 327
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Necklace Setting
Course SummaryWork through this engaging literature course to study famous short stories. Containing bite-sized lessons and self-assessment quizzes, the course can help you improve your short story knowledge for exams, essays, homework assignments and more.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This mobile-friendly literature course examines important short stories by many influential authors, including Washington Irving, Anton Chekhov, Arthur Conan Doyle, Edith Wharton, and Katherine Mansfield. Our expert instructors help you analyze the literary elements of these short stories, and you can solidify your understanding by taking the included quizzes and chapter exams. Access this course whenever you have free time by using your computer or mobile device.
This short story course can benefit a variety of learners.
- Students who need to catch up in English class, improve their grades or study for upcoming short story exams can use this course to supplement their literature textbook.
- Parents can use the course as an engaging and effective tutoring option for their child.
- Independent learners can strengthen their short story knowledge whenever it's convenient.
- English teachers can use the course's lessons and supplemental materials to enhance their short story curricula.
You'll study the following short stories and authors:
- ''The Lady or the Tiger''
- ''Desiree's Baby''
- ''The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky''
- ''The Yellow Wallpaper''
- ''The Brass Teapot''
- ''Death by Scrabble''
- Guy de Maupassant
- Washington Irving
- Katherine Mansfield
- Anton Chekhov
- O. Henry
- Arthur Conan Doyle
- Joseph Conrad
- Jack London
- Edith Wharton
- Ambrose Bierce
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- Short Medical Courses in NY with School Information
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Literature Degree and Course Information
- How to Help Students Conduct Self-Assessments
- Flip Your Classroom with Study.com's Engaging Video Lessons
- Overview of Legal Studies Courses
- List of Free Online Acting Courses, Classes, Lessons and Workshops
- List of Free Guitar Courses and Lessons
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses