- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 167
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
Course SummaryStudy for the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) English I exam with this comprehensive test preparation course. You'll review short lessons and take assessments that cover all of the reading, writing and literary concepts that appear on the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Use this course as a comprehensive guide to the STAAR English I exam. Watch engaging video lessons to brush up on:
- Important reading comprehension skills
- Analyzing texts and writing literary, expository and persuasive texts
- Prose fiction and nonfiction
- Learning about drama, sensory language, media literacy and poetry
- Reading informational, persuasive, literary and procedural texts
- Ways to enhance your writing techniques
- Pertinent grammar, punctuation and spelling rules
- Review various types of literary genres
About the Exam
The STAAR English I exam assesses your level of academic proficiency in English I topics as determined by the Texas Education Agency. This end-of-course exam consists of 50 multiple-choice questions, 2 short-answer responses and one composition task. The composition portion is scored based on your ability to properly create a thesis, structure your sentences and progress your ideas in a coherent, logical manner.
STAAR English I Preparation
The STAAR English I exam is administered through the school district and given as an end-of-course assessment. With this course, review all of the English subjects you are likely to come across on the exam. Complete video lessons and use the transcripts as a great resource for taking notes. As you work your way through the chapters, take lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your knowledge of the material. Finally, take the cumulative course exam to see how well you've retained the information and to practice for the STAAR English I exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading & Writing Tests
- Should I Be an English Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Major in Creative Writing? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Become a State Trooper? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Wisconsin State Assessments
- Idaho State Assessments
- Connecticut State Assessments
- Arizona State Assessments
- Montana State Assessments
- Delaware State Assessments
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses