- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 92
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide covers concepts and content found on the STAAR Reading test for Grade 7. The course's expertly taught lessons, along with their related assessments, can help your students quickly and efficiently prepare for the examination.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
All of the topics assessed by the Grade 7 STAAR Reading exam are covered in this course. Each lesson guides your students through different competencies, giving them the skills necessary to accurately answer the questions related to those competencies. As students progress through the lesson, they will learn to do the following:
- Understand sensory language
- Comprehend written texts
- Read and analyze various types of texts
- Analyze different genres of literature
- Decode word meanings
About The Exam
This exam is given to seventh grade students to gauge the amount of knowledge they have gained regarding the subject and their abilities to use that knowledge. The assessment is divided into 3 reporting categories including understanding and analysis across genres, literary texts, and informational texts. Each reporting category has readiness and supporting standard questions. There are 50 multiple choice questions on the test; the test is given annually.
Preparing & Registering for the STAAR Reading Grade 7 exam
Because of its format, this course is an invaluable preparation resource. Each lesson is paired with an interactive quiz and a printable worksheet assessment, allowing students to receive instruction and assess their grasp of that instruction easily and quickly. Students will review and/or learn important terminology as well as different attack techniques to use when reading different types of texts. The instructors will also walk your seventh graders through different strategies to use for the analysis of various genres of texts. The format of the assessment questions also gives students an opportunity to practice answering questions like those on the related STAAR assessment.
Registration for this assessment is handled by the administration at the school of enrollment.
STAAR is a registered trademark of the Texas Education Agency, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Things My Students Taught ME
- Guided Reading Lesson Plans
- How to Help Students Conduct Self-Assessments
- 5 Lessons to Help Your Students Understand the Elections
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Student Volunteers Help Give the Gift of Reading
- Study Shows Acting Can Help with Reading Comprehension
- How Study.com Helps You Improve Your Grades
- Reading Comic Books May Help Students Do Better in School
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses