- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 127
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
Course SummaryThis study guide is designed to walk your students through all the material they need to know for the STAAR Reading - Grade 8 exam. The course's lessons and quizzes ensure that students are ready to be assessed on the types of literary elements that appear on the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This course covers everything you'll want your students to be prepared for before they take the STAAR Reading - Grade 8 exam. Chapters are taught by professional instructors and include lessons with practice quizzes that let you confirm your students' comprehension of the content topic-by-topic. The material included ranges from fundamental analysis of literary and informational texts to more complex looks at how their elements relate to reading and interpretation. Your students will learn about subjects such as theme and genre, media literacy, procedural texts, and all of the following:
- Developing vocabulary
- Informational and persuasive texts
- Understanding poetry and drama
- Fiction and nonfiction
- Sensory language
- Expository texts
- Growing reading comprehension skills
About the Exam
The STAAR Reading - Grade 8 exam contains questions on five literary genres and four informational genres of text. Literary genres include fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, and media literacy, while the informational texts focused on include expository, persuasive, procedural, and the overlapping media literacy.
Preparing & Registering for STAAR Reading - Grade 8 Exam:
The chapters in this study guide include features designed to make studying a painless process, with the timeline feature beneath lesson videos letting students hop around main points of the material. The transcripts that accompany the videos contain words in bold throughout signaling key terms and topics. If your students ever feel stuck, our instructors are also here to help them, accessible for questions through the teacher or help tab.
STAAR Reading - Grade 8 exam is a registered trademark of Texas Education Agency (TEA), which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- What to Do When Your Students Know More About Technology Than You Do
- Strategies for Getting to Know Your Students
- How to Guide Students Through Study.com's Courses
- Distance Learning and Student Visa Extensions: What You Need To Know
- What You Need to Know Before Taking Online Classes As an International Student
- Top Strategies for Studying for Final Exams: Straight From Students
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- 8 Stats All College Students Should Know Before Joining the Workforce
- Architecture Internships: A Guide for Students
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses