- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 116
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is An Atom? - Definition & Examples
Course SummarySupplement your student's classroom studies to achieve greater success on the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam. By completing this study guide course your 8th grade student will be better prepared to answer questions on chemistry, physics, Earth and space science and biology.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The chapters of this study guide course were put together to help eighth-grade students, like your own, prepare for the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) Science - Grade 8 exam. These chapters are made up of lessons and assessments, and they function as a comprehensive review of the topics students may see on the STAAR Science - Grade 8 Exam. They include the subjects of chemistry, physics, Earth and space science and biology. Following their exploration of these chapters, your student(s) will have a better understanding of:
- Properties of matter and energy
- Chemical formulas, equations and the elements of the periodic table
- The relationships between force, motion, energy and work
- Earth, the universe and space sciences, and how they are studied
- Topography, structures of the Earth and the atmosphere
- Characteristics and taxonomy of living things and ecology
- Genetics and the study of evolution
- The scientific method and the nature of scientific inquiry
About the Exam
Eighth-grade students in the state of Texas are required to take the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam so that the state can determine whether these students are learning what they need to from their eighth grade sciences classes. When your student(s) take this end-of-course exam, they will be asked to complete a series of questions that will assess their knowledge of matter and energy, force, motion and energy, Earth and space, organisms and the environment, and scientific investigation and reasoning.
Preparing and Registering for the STAAR Science - Grade 8
In addition to participating in their science classes, your student(s) can complete the lessons and assessments of this course to prepare for the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam. The lessons provide a short, engaging and effective way to review the topics covered in class. While lesson transcripts provide students with a way to reinforce their understanding of the material, students can also take the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to pinpoint topics they don't understand. Many of the lessons have video tags, which students can use further explore subjects they may not grasp.
If you have questions regarding your student(s) registration for the STAAR Science - Grade 8 exam, contact your school/educational institution.
State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STAAR) Science - Grade 8 is a registered trademark of the Texas Education Agency, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How I Used the Feynman Technique to Study and Got Better Grades
- How to Study Less & Still Get Better Grades in High School
- High School Study Tips: Three Steps to Better Grades!
- 10 Great Study Abroad Locations for Science and Engineering Students
- More and Better Testing: The Future of Measuring Student Success?
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- 8th Grade Math Worksheets
- Master of Professional Studies in Data Science
- Master of Science in Administrative Studies Programs
- IT Gets Better - One ADHD Student's Struggle with Education
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses