- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 12
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Types of Competitive Advantage: Cost, Product, Niche & Sustainable Advantages
Course SummaryYou can use the videos in this short training course to help your employees review the basic elements of competitive advantage. The lessons provide an overview of the different ways to gain a competitive advantage as well as help managerial employees see options for implementing these strategies into a marketing plan.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
A competitive advantage can help a business increase sales, gain customers or outperform their competition. This course includes several short, engaging videos that describe ways to gain a competitive advantage. The quizzes that follow each lesson can be used to assess your employees' comprehension for incorporating these strategic marketing tactics into a business plan.
How It Works
Each of the lessons includes a short video, as well as a text transcript with key terms and follow-up quizzes. The videos can also be accessed from a tablet or mobile device, making it easy to watch them from anywhere or at any time.
Some of the features of this course include:
- Videos that are taught by subject-matter experts who use fun illustrations and real-world examples to present various strategies related to competitive advantage
- Video tags to allow employees to easily go back to any point in the video that they'd like to review
- Short quizzes that tie back to the main points in each video and can be used to start a group discussion on the importance of gaining a competitive advantage
- Chapter exams that allow you to gauge your employees understanding of the material before they implement it in their daily work
- A final exam to test employees' grasp of competitive advantage, which can also be used to jump start a strategic brainstorming session for developing a marketing plan for your company
How It Helps
- Builds awareness: These lessons guide employees' understanding of how having a competitive advantage can help make their company more successful.
- Increase business potential: Learning the strategies to reach different consumers and generate profit can help grow your business.
- Improve target marketing: Marketing employees can use this course to see ways for identifying a target market and positioning their product or services to market to this group.
- Provides brainstorming material: After watching the short videos on ways to gain a competitive advantage, your team can use those concepts as a starting point to brainstorm ways to implement these ideas within your own organization.
Elements of Competitive Advantage
- Examples of sustainable competitive advantages
- Four common types of competitive advantage
- Strategic marketing
- Strategic alternatives in marketing
Gaining Competitive Advantage
- Business strategies
- Tweaking corporate strategies to gain competitive advantage
- Porter's generic strategies
- Ansoff's market matrix
- Target marketing
- Positioning and differentiation
- Business intelligence
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses