- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 43
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is a Phrase?
This course can be found in: TASC Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 5 TASC study guides, and 900+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryGet the best score possible on the writing portion of the TASC exam with this helpful practice course. Short video and text lessons outline all the material you'll find on the exam, while the quizzes help you assess how well you understand the subjects ahead of test day. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
These brief video lessons and quizzes can help boost your confidence and exam familiarity going into the TASC Writing subtest. The topics you will come across on the subtest are explored in detail through corresponding lessons. These lessons take a look at capitalization rules, emphasize spelling correctness and review proper comma usage as well as colons, semicolons and other punctuation. Preparation for the essay component is provided through a broad understanding of grammar and usage, sentence structure and essay organization.
Check out our TASC test prep materials! We've got TASC courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TASC study guides to help you study, TASC practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational TASC resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This informative study guide has been designed to help you do your best on the TASC writing subtest. Our lessons cover subjects such as writing informative texts and basic English grammar and punctuation conventions. After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Employ correct grammar and usage
- Understand rules for spelling, capitalization and punctuation
- Develop strong arguments
- Write informative texts
- Outline the basics of writing
There are 39 lessons and 4 chapters in this helpful study guide course that you can access at any time. Be sure to answer the multiple-choice questions provided in the lesson quizzes and chapter tests to make sure you're ready for test day.
TASC Writing Exam Information
The TASC is becoming a popular alternative as a high school equivalency test, and it is made up of five subtests covering the areas of reading, writing, mathematics, science and social studies. The TASC is not available for those who have completed high school or who are still attending high school.
- Number of Questions: 56
- Question Type: 43 multiple choice, seven autoscored technology-enhanced, one extended constructed response and five shared stimuli
- Time Limit: 115 minutes
- Exam Cost: $122
TASC Writing Exam Breakdown
|TASC Writing Exam Concept||Percent of the TASC Writing Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Editing & Revising||83.3%||21 questions||55|
|Essay Writing||16.7%||42 questions||1|
TASC Registration and Preparation
The registration process for the TASC varies according to the respective state in which the exam is administered. In some states test takers have the convenient option to register online. The delivery format for the test may be either paper or computer-based.
Test takers receive comprehensive preparation through this course. Video lessons offer step-by-step instructions for brainstorming ideas, structuring essays and evaluating sources. Quizzes accompany each lesson and are useful for gauging readiness for the writing portion of the TASC. Students can go back and watch key grammar and style lessons as often as needed or watch videos on just the concepts they need to review. The TASC may be taken at any state-approved testing center, and some centers offer both test formats. Those individuals who take the online version will be given a test ticket with access code, and examinees taking the paper-and-pencil format receive a test booklet and answer sheet.
TASC Writing Scoring and Score Reports
The minimum score needed for passing the TASC Writing subtest is 500, which is the same as the passing requirement for the other subtests. In addition to 50 multiple-choice questions and several constructed response items, the writing subtest requires an argumentative or informative written essay, for which at least 2 out of 8 points are needed to pass. Scores are usually available for the computer-based test in less than 5 hours, while scores for the paper-and-pencil format and essays are typically available within 10 business days. The video lessons in this prep course provide comprehensive training on organizing an essay, writing a thesis statement and strong essay body and developing an argument.
TASC is a registered trademark of National Evaluation Systems, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Study.com Updates
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- List of Free Online Chinese Language Courses and Video Lessons
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- How Online Courses Work Video
- Online Developmental Psychology Masters Programs
- Aerobic Instructor Course
- Process Engineering Manager Job Duties and Requirements for a Career in Process Engineering MGMT
- Echocardiology Technician Employment Information and Requirements for a Career in Echo Technology
- Water Plant Technician Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a Water Treatment Plant Technician
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses