- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 46
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Giftedness in Children: Definition, Characteristics & Conceptions
Course SummaryIf you teach gifted students, check out this collection of teacher resources to learn how to better educate and accommodate them. These short lessons cover the principles of gifted education, as well as effective teaching strategies that you can use in the classroom.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
In this course, you will be presented with quick video lessons that will explain topics like how to plan for gifted education by utilizing assessments, plans, and tips. Another topic you will learn in this course is how to set the tone in your classroom and create classroom environments with elements that are geared towards gifted students. The video lessons include tags that allow you go to specific topics that you're interested in. In addition to the topics listed below, you will also learn about giftedness in students, principles and planning of gifted education, methods for teaching students who are gifted, and concerns in gifted education.
How It Works
In this mobile-friendly course, you will be able to identify and set up the proper learning environments for gifted children and more. Visit the Recent Activity link to revisit previous lessons and quizzes. This course includes the following:
- Chapters that are broken down into lessons about labeling and advocating for gifted students
- Quick video lessons that describe the characteristics and traits of gifted students
- Short multiple-choice quizzes that assess your understanding of the definition, modifications, and accommodations for gifted students
- Timeline tags that will provide you with the ability to jump directly to topics like expectations and assessments of gifted students
- Lesson transcripts that contain vocabulary words pertaining to the topics about learning strategies and teaching methods centered around gifted students
How It Helps
- Names strategies: After learning about different strategies to enrich and accommodate the learning of gifted students, you will be able to determine which strategy will work best in your classroom.
- Details gifted characteristics: Our short videos list the characteristics of gifted students which will help you to recognize these students in your classroom and create plans to meet their education needs.
- Provides resources: These lessons provide information about helpful organizations for gifted teachers for additional resources and support.
|Understanding Gifted Students||Definition of giftedness in regard to children, advanced cognitive development, diversity of different students' necessities in class, and misconceptions about gifted students.|
|Principles of Gifted Education||Gifted education models, comparison between curricular accommodations and curricular modifications, acceleration and enrichment modifications, styles of successful gifted education teachers, and organizations available for gifted teachers.|
|Planning for Gifted Education||Setting expectations and SMART goals, student learning contracts, evaluating students for gifted and talented programs, Bloom's taxonomy, tips for teaching multiple intelligences, creating personal learning profiles, parent input, and professional collaboration.|
|Establishing Classroom Environments for Gifted Education||Universal design for learning, differentiated instruction, scaffolding instruction, student-centered instruction, cluster-grouping for gifted students, impact of learning environments, and creation of positive classroom environments.|
|Strategies for Teaching Gifted Students||Tips for teaching gifted students, accelerated options, curriculum compacting, project-based learning activities, the Socratic Method, independent research program, blended learning techniques, and extracurricular activities for students.|
|Concerns & Controversies in Gifted Education||Advantages and disadvantages of labeling gifted students, ability grouping, and providing advocacy and support for gifted students.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Identify a Gifted Student in Your Classroom
- How Gifted Students Can Help Teachers Get Other Students Engaged
- Co-Teaching Strategies That Were Effective in My Classroom
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Teaching ESL Students | Resources for ESL Teachers
- Gifted Teacher Certification in Louisiana
- Gifted Teacher Certification in Missouri
- Learn to Teach ESL: Overview of Education Programs for ESL Teachers
- Teaching ESL: Education Requirements to Teach Students
- Teaching Gifted and Talented Students
- Software Engineering Top Rated Tech School with Software Engineering Degree Programs - Atlanta GA
- Massage Therapist Classes Top College with Programs in Massage Therapy - Westminster CO
- Biotechnology Schools in Boston
- Top Ranked School with a Degree in Business Finance - Nashville TN
- Accounting Degrees Top Rated University with Accounting Degree Programs - Baltimore MD
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses