- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 201
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Henry & Mudge Comprehension Questions
Course SummaryThis course provides you with teaching resources for a variety of children's books. The course's lesson plans and book lists can be easily incorporated into your curriculum.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The objective of this course is to provide you with a brief, yet useful, outline of some of the themes found in children's books and how you may use them your classroom. While some of these lessons are recorded videos and others short written lessons, both will help you incorporate the featured books and related lesson plans into your class curriculum.
How It Works
Watch the short video lessons and read the written ones to improve your abilities incorporating children's books into your lessons.
Some of the different types of books discussed in this course include:
- Picture books and beginner chapter books
- Elementary chapter books and middle grade books
- Multicultural books and books about historical fiction
- Fantasy books and books about animals
- Books about transformations, survival and adventure
- Books with themes of loss and death
- Dr. Seuss books, Beverly Cleary books and the Magic Tree House
- Books by Roald Dahl, Judy Blume, Louis Sachar and Jerry Spinelli
How it Helps
- Builds awareness: This course will expand your knowledge of a few of the different children's books you can use in your class.
- Enhances your lessons: The topics of these lessons will discuss how you can incorporate themes from these books into your lessons, while providing example lesson plans.
- Improves student engagement: Some of the lessons in this course will review ways you can improve your students classroom participation through literary activities.
|Picture Books Lesson Plans||Use this lesson to discover how to use picture books in your classroom, story elements covered in these books and example lesson plans for them.|
|Teaching Beginner Chapter Books||This lesson will provide you with lesson plans for beginner chapter books, as well as study questions you may use to help your students test their comprehension of them.|
|Teaching Elementary Chapter Books||This chapter covers lesson plans and related comprehension questions for chapter books that are a step above beginner chapter books.|
|Teaching Middle Grade Books||Review the lessons of this chapter for example lesson plans, classroom activities and comprehension questions for middle grade books.|
|Teaching Multicultural Books||Study these lessons for lesson plans you can reference when organizing your own lesson plans about multicultural books.|
|Teaching Books about Animals||Apply the knowledge you gained from this chapter to improve your lessons about books featuring animals.|
|Teaching Transformations in Children's Books||Many books cover themes of transformation, use this chapter to improve your lesson plans for these books.|
|Teaching Survival and Adventure Books||Review example lesson plans for some popular survival and adventure books.|
|Teaching Death & Loss in Children's Books||Death and loss are difficult topics to cover, the objective of this chapter is to provide you with a few examples on how to plan lessons for books that cover these themes.|
|Teaching Historical Fiction||Learn about example lesson plans composed to cover the important historical themes found in historical fiction.|
|Teaching Middle Grade Historical Fiction||Review examples of lessons plans for middle grade historical fiction.|
|Teaching Fantasy Books for Children||Look over themes and example lesson plans for a few fantasy books.|
|Teaching Middle Grade Fantasy Books||Study themes and lessons plans for more fantasy books.|
|Dr. Seuss Books Lesson Plans||Learn about the life of Dr. Seuss, review lesson plans for his books and discover how you can use them in your class.|
|Teaching Beverly Cleary Books||Improve your skills creating lesson plans for books written by author Beverly Cleary.|
|Teaching Pam Munoz Ryan Books||Review lesson plans for books by Pam Munoz Ryan.|
|Magic Tree House Books Lesson Plans||Reference lesson plans for a few of the books from the popular Magic tree House series.|
|Roald Dahl Books Lesson Plans||Study how you can use classics by Roald Dahl in your classroom.|
|Judy Blume Books Lesson Plans||Look into ways you can include books by Judy Blume in your lessons.|
|Louis Sachar Books Lesson Plans||Analyze lesson plans for classic works by Louis Sachar.|
|Jerry Spinelli Books Lesson Plans||Reference lesson plans for children's books written by author Jerry Spinelli.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Jobs Involving Children's Books
- Online Writing Courses for Children's Book Authors
- Become a Children's Book Illustrator: Career Roadmap
- Children's Writing Courses and Classes Overview
- 10 Free Banned Books
- 10 Free Classic Books
- Free Books - 50 Places to Find Free Books Online
- Overview of Writing Courses for Aspiring Children's Authors
- Distance Education Courses That Can Help Teachers Relocate Easily
- Become a Children's Book Publisher: Step-by-Step Career Guide
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses