- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 36
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
Course SummaryFeel confident in your ability to teach students with communication disorders using this online course. You'll get informative tips and strategies to help you prepare comprehensive curricula, enhance class discussions and provide overall support for students with communication disorders.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Children can face a wide variety of challenges in the classroom, many of which can be amplified when they have a communication disorder. The lessons in this course offer support to educators who want to provide a quality education to students with these disorders. Lessons take an in-depth look at the basics of language and communication, then closely examine methods for teaching students with voice and swallowing, speech and hearing disorders. This course also offers self-assessment tools like quizzes and exams to help you gauge your understanding of these concepts.
How It Works
Whether you have a busy schedule, only need to review a few lessons, or want to revisit concepts more than once, this course offers the flexibility you need! Lessons are accessible 24/7 and can be reviewed in any sequence and as often as you desire.
Among the features available in this course are the following:
- Entertaining video and text lessons that provide quality information about ways to teach students with communication disorders
- Clickable timelines that enable you to skip to key topics within the video lessons
- Self-assessment quizzes that enable you to test your knowledge of concepts covered in the lessons
- Practice exams designed to reinforce topics examined in each chapter and the entire course
- Mobile features that ensure you're able to access the lessons, quizzes and other course resources from any computer, smartphone or tablet
How It Helps
- Strengthens knowledge: This course ensures you have complete knowledge of the basics of language and communication and how these skills are developed in children.
- Provides comprehensive strategies: Informative lessons offer comprehensive strategies, tips and methods you can use to provide the best instruction possible to students with communication disorders.
- Helps students excel: By enhancing your knowledge of communication disorders and ways to teach students facing this challenge, you can fully support your students and improve their learning outcomes.
- Understanding concepts like language acquisition, linguistics, the communication process and modes of communication
- Using your knowledge of the anatomy of the throat, types of voice disorders and swallowing disorders to assist your students in the classroom
- Identifying and working with students with dysarthria, aphasia, speech apraxia and perseveration of speech
- Evaluating and managing hearing disorders, working with students who are deaf, and utilizing assistive technology for hearing-impaired students
- Working with families of students, meeting students' needs in the classroom, differentiating instruction, and using assistive technology for students with communication disorders
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Classes in Communication Disorders
- Online Communication Disorder Degrees: Program Summaries
- Online Business Communication Course and Class Reviews
- The 6 Types of Students You'll Have in Your First Class
- Communication Disorder Degree Program Information
- Schools with Undergraduate Communication Disorders Programs
- Communication Disorders Graduate Programs in Texas
- Graduate Programs in Communication Sciences & Disorders
- Digital Communication Course and Class Descriptions
- Electronic Communication Courses and Classes Overview
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses