- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 57
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is a Learning Disability in Children? - Definition, Types & Characteristics
Course SummaryThis online teacher resource course examines the characteristics and effects of learning disabilities, and it includes effective instructional techniques and strategies that you can use to better accommodate your students. The course is accessible whenever you need it, and it's taught by subject matter experts.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The chapters in this course were set up as resources to help you review the characteristics of learning disabilities, how learning disabilities can affect a student's behavior and how you can adjust your classroom instruction to fit the needs of students with learning disabilities. This course provides a quick and effective way to review this information, so that you may implement it as soon as possible.
How It Works
The lesson videos in these chapters are not only informative and engaging, but also short and mobile device compatible, so that you can fit them into a busy schedule. They are accompanied by short, self-assessment quizzes you may use to test your understanding of lesson topics.
Designed to help teachers improve their skills teaching students with learning disabilities, this course includes:
- Lesson videos with time-line links you can use to go directly to specific topics in them
- Lesson transcripts that will help you reinforce your retention of the information
- Short lesson quizzes check how much of the lesson material you've retained
- Video tags that will take you to the parts of the lessons that explained the topics you missed on the quizzes
- Practice chapter exams you can use to discover any areas of weakness
How It Helps
- Provides vital information: The lessons in this course will help you review information crucial to your ability to teach students with learning disabilities.
- Details helpful strategies: Review strategies and techniques you can use to help improve the performance of students with learning disabilities.
- Creates a better learning environment: Not only will these lessons help you teach students with learning disabilities, but they will also allow you to improve the overall learning environment of your classroom.
|Basics for Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities|| Review types of learning disabilities and ways to identify them.|
Understand behavioral and cognitive impairments, as well as the role of organizations, parents and communities in helping students with learning disabilities.
|Common Types of Learning Disabilities||Understand characteristics and effects of dyscalculia, dysgraphia, dyslexia and dysorthographia.|
Discover symptoms and treatments for auditory, visual and sensory integration disorders.
Discuss the effects of executive function and social cues disorders.
|Classroom Adjustments for Students with Learning Disabilities|| Study the difference between mainstreaming and inclusion approaches to special education and curricular accommodations compared to modification.|
Take a look at universal design in special education, differentiated instruction and direct instruction.
|Assessing and Monitoring Students with Learning Disabilities|| Review different forms of assessments used in special education.|
Examine the Response to Intervention process (RTI), early reading interventions, and personal learning profiles.
Consider the Learning Disabilities Instructional Support Planning Process (LDISPP) and Individual Education Plans (IEP).
|Teaching Strategies for Students with Learning Disabilities|| Understand issues faced by students with learning disabilities.|
Investigate ways to help students improve receptive language processing, phonological processing, and spelling, writing and math skills.
|Behavior & Skills for Students with Learning Disabilities|| Recognize the emotional needs of students with learning disabilities.|
Discuss the benefits of teaching self-regulation to students with learning disabilities.
Learn strategies for getting students to become more active in the learning process, improve fine and gross motor skills and develop organizational and study skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Examining Student Retention: Study Links Drop-Out Rates to High Numbers of Adjunct-Taught Courses
- Online Classes and Courses for Medical Examiners
- Online Courses for Becoming an Art Teacher
- Online Forensic Nurse Examiner Courses and Classes
- Things My Students Taught ME
- Online Baking Courses and Learning Programs
- Online Teachers Aide Courses and Classes
- Online Courses in Natural Resource Management: Course Descriptions
- Online Courses for Animal Care Students
- Top Resource Sites for Learning Disabilities
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses