- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 103
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Sociology? - Definition, Themes & Careers in Sociology
Course SummaryUse this study guide to prepare to take the Thomas Edison Credit-by-Examination Program (TECEP) Introduction to Sociology exam. This prep course provides short video lessons addressing all the topics you'll need to be familiar with to pass this TECEP exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
In as little as a week and a half, you can be fully prepared to take the TECEP Introduction to Sociology exam. Work at your own pace and access video lessons at any time, on any device. This is a quick and effective way to earn 3 transferable college credits.
Covering topics you would study in a traditional introductory sociology course, this extensive study guide offers brief videos containing illustrations and detailed examples. You'll find information about sociological theories, socialization, social structures, culture, gender roles and social institutions. Other topics include social movements, sociological research, social mobility and inequality.
Syllabus & Course Information
This course is designed to help you gain mastery of the following objectives. Each of these subjects are explored in the TECEP Introduction to Sociology exam. Taking the course's final exam will measure your readiness to take this TECEP exam.
- Define the field of sociology and explain key theories and research methods
- Discuss culture and socialization in sociology
- Understand social interaction, structure and control
- Define terms relating to stratification and social mobility
- Detail key information about social inequality
- Understand concepts relating to gender, family and sexuality
- Identify types of social institutions, including religion, government, education and economic systems
- Relate health and environmental issues that impact society
- Define types of social change
This is an introductory course and there are no prerequisites.
This course contains 11 chapters, which are further divided into 93 lessons covering all of the material you can expect to encounter on the TECEP Introduction to Sociology exam. Each lesson takes only 5-10 minutes to review and includes a self-assessment quiz that you can use to determine what you have learned and what you might need to study further. At any point during the course, you can contact instructors with questions if you are having difficulty with the topics covered.
TECEP Introduction to Sociology Exam Information
Credit earned from the TECEP Introduction to Sociology exam is equivalent to the credit earned from a traditional intro-level sociology course. Credits from the exam can be used by Thomas Edison University students or transferred to another school. Check with your registrar to see if your school is one of the many colleges and universities that accept TECEP credit.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $114 for matriculated students, $156 for non-matriculated students
TECEP Medical Terminology Exam Breakdown
|TECEP Exam Concept||Percent of the TECEP Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|The Field of Sociology: Theory, Research, Culture, Socialization||25%||25 questions||28|
|Social Interaction, Social Structure, Social Control||15%||15 questions||19|
|Stratification, Social Mobility, Inequality||15%||15 questions||15|
|Gender, Family, Human Sexuality||15%||15 questions||6|
|Religion, Education, Economic Systems, Government||15%||15 questions||11|
|Health, Environment, Social Change||15%||15 questions||14|
Earn TECEP Credit
You'll earn 3 credits when you successfully complete the TECEP Introduction to Sociology exam. This can satisfy general education requirements or help you work toward a degree in social sciences. This course makes it easy for you to be fully prepared for this exam and quickly gain credit.
Study Schedule for the TECEP Medical Terminology Exam
This course consists of about 12 hours of instruction. Videos are accessible 24/7, which allows you to study whenever it's convenient for you. The table below shows when you'll be ready for the exam, depending on your desired study schedule.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||About 1 1/2 weeks|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||2 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||4 weeks|
TECEP is a registered trademark of Thomas Edison State University, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- G.E.D. Test Preparation Video: Tips for Preparing for the GED Exam
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Online Training Programs in Fraud Examination with Course Info
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- Student Passes Calculus CLEP Exam After Using Study.com's Online Videos to Study for Just Five Days
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- Fraud Examination Degree Program Overviews
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Sr Bio-Medical Engineers Requirements for Becoming a Senior Bio-Medical Tech or Engineer
- Chiropractor Job Information and Requirements for Becoming a Chiropractor
- Diagnostic Imaging Technician Job Information for Recent Graduates Pursuing a Career in Diagnostic Imaging Technology
- Chp Course
- Top School for Earning a Degree in Computer Programming - Charleston SC
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses