Course SummaryRefer to this comprehensive study guide if you're seeking a quick and effective way to prepare for the Thomas Edison Credit-by-Examination Program (TECEP) Marriage and the Family exam. This course is designed to cover all of introductory and advanced topics you will encounter when sitting for this particular TECEP exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
About This Course
With the help of this study guide, you could be fully prepared to take the TECEP Marriage and the Family exam in as little as two weeks. Text and video lessons are easily accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can study at your own pace and whenever it's convenient for you. You won't find an easier way to earn three transferable college credits.
This guide starts with a chapter covering such introductory topics as family theories and systems, traditional and non-traditional family structures, marriage and kinship. You will then move into chapters focusing on topics including race and poverty, gender roles, communication, parenting and pregnancy, family violence, work and family, singlehood and sexuality. Other lessons discuss sociological research methods and preparatory strategies for answering the essay portion of the TECEP Marriage and the Family exam.
Syllabus & Course Information
All of the objectives listed below will be addressed in this course. Mastery of these subjects are essential for passing the TECEP Marriage and the Family exam. You can measure your knowledge of each topic by taking brief self-assessment quizzes in each lesson as well as the course's final exam.
- Understand the family life cycle and describe differences in family systems within different cultures
- Relate various theories addressing family systems, conflict and development in family and marriage
- Describe research methodologies employed in the field of sociology
- Provide details about class systems, poverty and ethnicity
- Define gender roles and views
- Discuss theories on love and sexuality
- Convey the use and importance of communication and conflict resolution in relationships
- Compare and contrast singlehood and marriage
- Detail information about parenting styles, family planning, stages of pregnancy and fertility
- Discuss the role of work within family life
- Relate different types of family violence such as child abuse, domestic violence and neglect
- Explain reasons for divorce and detail divorce rates and effects
This is an introductory course and there are no prerequisites.
This course consists of 90 lessons divided into 10 chapters. The lessons are relatively short, with most taking less than 10 minutes to review, and each comes with a self-assessment quiz so you can determine if you are ready to answer questions on that topic on the TECEP Family and the Marriage exam. Instructors can be contacted via your Dashboard if you have any questions about lesson-specific topics.
TECEP Marriage and the Family Exam Information
By taking and passing the TECEP Marriage and the Family exam, you can earn three credits that can be used Thomas Edison University or transferred to another school. This could help you complete your degree program faster and even save you money over the course of your studies.
- Number of Questions: 80 multiple choice; 2 short essays
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $114 for matriculated students, $156 for non-matriculated students
TECEP Marriage and the Family Exam Breakdown
|TECEP Exam Concept||Percent of the TECEP Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|A Sociological Introduction to Marriage and Family||30%||24 questions||27|
|Gender, Love and Sexuality||20%||16 questions||18|
|Communication and Conflict||5%||4 questions||4|
|Marriage, Singlehood, Parenting and Work||25%||20 questions||26|
|Family Violence, Abuse, Divorce and New Beginnings||20%||16 questions||11|
Earn TECEP Credit
You will earn three credits when you successfully complete the TECEP Introduction to Sociology exam. These credits are an affordable way to make progress on your degree as they can save you hundreds of dollars in tuition fees. This course makes it easy for you to be fully prepared for this exam in just a few short weeks, compared to a semester's worth of classes.
Study Schedule for the TECEP Medical Terminology Exam
This course consists of about 12 hours of instruction. Videos are accessible 24/7, which allows you to study whenever it's convenient for you. The table below shows when you'll be ready for the exam.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||About 1.5 weeks|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||2 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||4 weeks|
TECEP is a registered trademark of Thomas Edison State University, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Training Programs in Fraud Examination with Course Info
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- A Guide To Advanced Placement Courses
- Fraud Examination Degree Program Overviews
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- Don't Have an Employee Referral Bonus Program? You're Making a Mistake
- Marriage and Family Counseling Courses in Maryland
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses