- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 74
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Use Study.com TECEP Courses
Course SummaryThis convenient and effective test prep resource is designed to get you ready for the TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management exam. You'll work through comprehensive lessons and quick quizzes that cover all the information you need to know for the test.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
10 chapters in TECEP Security Analysis & Portfolio Management: Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Use this study guide course to prepare for the TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management exam in less than two weeks and earn three transferrable college credits. You can study this helpful video course at your own pace and review all the information that will be covered on the TECEP test.
The course contains short and engaging lessons that cover important concepts and formulas pertaining to security analysis and portfolio management. These topics include the basics of investing, securities markets, financial statements, stocks, options, portfolios and more. The lessons are taught in a straightforward and simplified instructional style so you can quickly review and retain the information.
Syllabus & Course Information
The lessons in this course includes all of the concepts you can expect to encounter on the TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management exam. In addition to video and text-based lessons, you'll find self-assessment quizzes, chapter exams and a final exam to help you make sure you've mastered the material. After reviewing these lessons, you'll be able to:
- Evaluate types of financial investments, financial and securities markets, debt and equity capital, and principles of taxation.
- Outline securities registration, exempt securities, fraud and insider trading, antitrust laws and the Sherman Act.
- Explain the stock market and types of stocks, bonds, mutual funds and other investments.
- Compare stock evaluation and analysis tools, and understand how to calculate yields, investment risk, valuation and ROI.
- Assess risk premiums, systematic and unsystematic risk, risk reduction and market hypothesis.
- Differentiate between common stock, stock pricing, dividends and stock splits.
- Break down financial statements and balance sheets, cash flow, liquidity ratios and statement analysis.
- Distinguish stock options and warrants, commodities, real estate investments, tax shelters, and types of investments.
- Summarize the purposes of closed-end investment companies, exchange-traded funds, hedge funds, holding companies and investment portfolios.
You don't need to meet any prerequisites to take this course, however, since this is an upper level finance course, the school recommends taking courses in or having knowledge of finance, quantitative business analysis, college algebra and statistics first.
The course's 64 lessons are divided in to 9 chapters containing between 4 and 11 lessons. After watching/reading these bite-sized lessons, you can check your understand got the material by taking the accompanying self-assessment quiz. If you want to review the information at a later date, you can always come back to a particular lesson from your course Dashboard or print out word-for-word transcripts for supplemental study. If any concept is unclear, you can always reach out to our expert instructors who are happy to answer any questions you may have. In addition to the lesson quizzes and chapter exams, a final exam is available to take so you can ensure your readiness for the TECEP test.
TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management Exam Information
The TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management exam leads to three college credits at Thomas Edison State University, as well as other institutions that accept TECEP credit.
- Number of Questions: 80 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 120 minutes
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $114 for Thomas Edison State University students; $156 for students not enrolled at TESU
TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management Exam Breakdown
|TECEP Exam Concept||Percent of the TECEP Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Investing Environment and Tools||25%||20 questions||15 lessons|
|Investing in Income Securities||20%||16 questions||23 lessons|
|Investing in Common Stock||20%||16 questions||13 lessons|
|Investing in Options, Futures and Nonfinancial Assets||20%||16 questions||8 lessons|
|Investment Companies and the Construction of Diversified Portfolios||15%||12 questions||5 lessons|
Earn TECEP Credit
Thomas Edison State University (TESU) has a credit-by-exam program that's designed to help students pass out of lower-division college courses and save them a significant amount of time and money on their degree programs. Students of Thomas Edison State University may take these exams to pass out of TESU courses, and students from other colleges and universities can apply the credit toward their own schools. If you're not a TESU student, you should check to make sure that your college or university accepts TECEP credit. Consult the TESU website to find information on upcoming testing dates and registration.
Study Schedule for the TECEP Security Analysis and Portfolio Management Exam
This course takes about six and a half hours to complete. You can get an idea of how long it will take you to get ready for the exam by taking a look at our recommended study schedules below.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 2 days a week||Around 2 days|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||Around 1 week|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||Around 2 weeks|
The Thomas Edison State University Examination Program (TECEP) is a registered trademark of Thomas Edison State University, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- Microsoft Office Specialist Exams and Test Prep Information
- Test Prep
- MOUS Test and Exam Information
- EMT Test and Exam Information with Tips
- How to Prep for College When You Don't Know Which School You'll Attend
- GRE Test Preparation & Resources
- MTTC Test Preparation & Resources
- AP Test Preparation & Resources
- FSA Test Preparation & Resources
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses