- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 140
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Technical Communication: Definition & Purpose
Course SummaryGet a little help in technical writing with this handy and helpful review course. Our fun text and video lessons are paired with self-assessment quizzes you can use to test yourself ahead of a big exam or homework assignment so you can get a great score.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help understanding material from technical writing will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better grades. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding technical documents, technical editing and rewriting, usability testing, business reports, technical correspondence, technical reports or any other technical writing topic.
- Need an efficient way to learn technical writing.
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools.
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD.
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers.
- Missed class time and need to catch up.
- Can't access extra English learning resources at school.
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Confirm your understanding through lesson quizzes and chapter exams.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Technical Writing final exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any relevant question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
In this course, you'll learn the answers to questions including:
- What are the characteristics of technical communication?
- How can I adapt my message to my audience?
- How should I structure and organize my message?
- How should I proofread my message?
- What are the main elements of technical documents?
- What are the reasons for performing usability tests on technical documents?
- What is the difference between formal and informal technical reports?
- How can I write a business report?
- What are the different types of technical correspondence?
- How can I write a technical resume and cover letter?
- How do I structure technical instructions?
- How can I write a manual?
- How do I write an effective proposal?
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Should I Become a Technical Writer? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Should I Major in Creative Writing? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Technical Writing Professions Video: Becoming a Technical Writer
- When to Use a Self-Assessment With Your Job Search Video
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock Video Review
- Self-Assessments for Choosing a Career Path Video
- How to Help Students Conduct Self-Assessments
- How Video Games Help Children with ADHD Study & Have Fun
- Technical Writing Courses and Classes Overview
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses