- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 119
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Technical Communication: Definition & Purpose
Course SummaryGet your students interested in technical writing with our fun, flexible textbook replacement course. All the topics you'd expect to see in a traditional textbook are provided here at a lesser cost with our engaging video and text lessons and multiple-choice quizzes.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Any instructor who teaches technical writing can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most writing textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like business reports and proposals are perfect for briefly introducing a writing topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional writing textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of manual writing, cover letters and formal technical reports.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online technical writing textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Cost Effective: Using our Technical Writing Textbook can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like the rules of communication easy to understand.
- Simple and Versatile: Teachers and students can access this writing and any Study.com course from any computer or mobile device.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring resume writing, technical correspondence and other technical writing topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Skill-Building Courses: In addition to in-depth instruction, courses include practice lessons, quizzes, practical learning exercises and how-to guides to help students develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Differentiated Instruction: Lessons give teachers the opportunity to fit each student's individual needs - through video lessons, lesson transcripts and assessment quizzes.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online Writing textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors, and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in your writing class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your instructor via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings writing lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb writing concepts, technical editing, ethical issues in report writing and executive summaries.
- Identify the writing topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging writing video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like e-manuals, analytical reports and report readability.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any writing topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our Writing course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about clarity in technical writing, legal communications and conciseness.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in writing, our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this writing course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a writing concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Technical Writing Basics
- Writing Ahead for Technical Documents
- Technical Document Writing
- Rewriting and Technical Editing
- Elements Used in Technical Documents
- Technical Writing and Usability Testing
- Technical Reports for Informal Communications
- Technical Reports for Formal Communications
- Writing Business Reports
- Types of Technical Correspondence
- Cover Letters and Technical Resumes
- Writing Technical Instructions
- Writing Technical Manuals
- Proposal Writing
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Promoting Low Cost Textbooks for Community College Students
- 5 Secrets for Reducing Textbook Costs
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- Nicole Allen Takes the Fight for Lower Textbook Costs on the Road
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- People's Choice Nominees: Best Discount Textbook Provider
- Best Discount Textbook Provider, People's Choice Awards
- Textbook Costs: Looking at Market Forces to Understand High Prices
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses