- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 84
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Passing the TExES Core Subjects 4-8 Exam
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryIn this study guide, you'll review the history, geography, politics and economics topics that you would need to know as a Texas elementary or middle school teacher. This guide covers material found in the Social Studies section of the TExES Core Subjects 4-8 exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
15 chapters in TExES Core Subjects 4-8 - Social Studies (808): Practice & Study Guide
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Lesson 1 - Assessing Students in Social Science Disciplines||Take Quiz|
Related TExES Courses
About This Course
This course offers you the opportunity to refresh your knowledge or learn new information about social studies topics studied by 4th - 8th grade students that you will need to know for the social studies portion of the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Core Subjects 4-8 exam. You'll study world and U.S. history events, federal and Texas state government, social institutions and roles, and historical research. You'll also review social studies teaching and assessment strategies. This course consists of video and text lessons that can be accessed at all times, from any device, and offer printable transcripts so you can create handy study materials.
Check out our TExES Preparation resources! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and TExES informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
You can use this study guide to prepare for the TExEs Core Subjects 4-8- Social Studies exam by developing the ability to describe events of early America and the American Revolution, discuss economic principles and trends, detail major events of the 20th century and identify major geographical regions of the world. In addition, you should refresh your abilities to:
- Identify important eras in world history
- Describe American government systems, functions and processes
- Provide details about landmark court cases and important political documents
- Define historical research and analyze historical data
This course contains 14 individual chapters broken down into 82 lessons. The ability to access lessons 24/7 makes it possible to create a flexible and self-paced study schedule and progress through the course is easily tracked using your Dashboard.
TExES Core Subjects 4-8: Social Studies (808) Exam Information
Aspiring elementary and middle school teachers in Texas must demonstrate their understanding and ability to teach basic historical, economical and political topics to their students. The Social Studies part of the TExES Core Subjects 4-8 exam is one of four subject tests that comprise this test. All four Subject Tests are taken initially; if one is not passed, that subject test can be re-taken 45 days after the initial exam.
- Number of Questions: 42 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 1 hour and 5 minutes
- Exam Cost: $65
TExES Core Subjects 4-8: Social Studies (808) Exam Breakdown
|TExES Social Studies 4-8 Exam Concepts||Number of Lessons|
|Government and Citizenship||18|
|Culture; Science, Technology and Society||8|
|Social Studies Foundations and Skills||7|
|Social Studies Instruction and Assessment||3|
TExES Core Subjects 4-8: Social Studies (808) Exam Preparation & Registration
With the help of this guide, you can expect to have a firm understanding of all of the topics you could need to know when taking the Social Studies portion of the TExES Core Subjects 4-8 exam. The lessons contained in this course address such topics as U.S. westward expansion; World Wars I and II; and human migration. You will also study topics relating to global economics; the U.S. court system; and cultural issues such as gender roles and technological development. Finally, you will review social studies instructional approaches and student assessment practices. Short video and text lessons are accessible from any device 24/7, so you can fit your review into any schedule. Use lesson quizzes and chapter exams to confirm your knowledge of each topic and your readiness in taking this TExES exam.
Register for this exam online, by phone or by mail. If registering online, you must first create an account on the Pearson website. Once your registration is complete and exam fees paid, you can then select your test date and location. Proper ID must be presented on the day of the exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Social Studies Essay Topics for Teachers
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- How to Become a Middle School Teacher in Texas
- GED Study Guide Flashcards
- How to Become an Elementary Gym Teacher: Career Guide
- How to Become a Middle School History Teacher
- How to Become a Social Studies Teacher in Louisiana
- How to Become a Social Studies Teacher in Connecticut
- Studying 101: Guide to Studying in College
- How to Become an Elementary Teacher in Texas
- List of Free Computerized Accounting Courses and Training Programs
- Cardiovascular Physical Therapy Assistant Job Information for a Career in Cardiovascular Physical Therapy Assisting
- Art Classes Los Angeles
- Heavy-Duty Diesel Truck Technician Job Information and Requirements for a Career As a Heavy-Duty Diesel Truck Tech
- Diet Counselor Job Duties and Requirements for a Career in Diet and Nutrition Counseling
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses