- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 86
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Gifted Education? - History, Models & Issues
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryUse this helpful study guide to prepare for the TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental certification exam. It's a flexible and fun way to review key topics in gifted education, and it's fully aligned with Texas education standards! This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
11 chapters in TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental (162): Study Guide & Practice
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About This Course
Licensed Texas educators who are interested in working with gifted and talented students must first demonstrate that they have the relevant required skills and knowledge. Passing the Gifted and Talented Supplemental (test code 162) exam administered by Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) is a requirement to add this credential to your teaching certificate. This study guide offers a comprehensive review of gifted instruction, assessment and pedagogy through engaging video lessons that are written and designed to reflect Texas's educational standards.
Check out our TExES test prep materials! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational TExES resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
This study and practice guide covers the material and skills that you need to have mastered to become certified to teach gifted and talented education in Texas. The TExES exam assesses your knowledge in gifted education fundamentals, such as the history and significance of the field, professional development and ethical issues. This guide provides an in-depth review of these topics, as well as gifted instruction and curriculum planning, identifying and assessing gifted students, understanding the needs of gifted students and more. Upon completion of the course, you will also be able to:
- Discuss foundational topics in the field of gifted education, such as its history, models and goals, as well as current issues, student/teacher rights and legal responsibilities
- Identify the cognitive, emotional and developmental factors that characterize gifted students
- Understand what it means to be a twice-exceptional student and identify ways to assist gifted students with learning disabilities, ADHD and other special needs
- Detail methods used to assess and identify gifted students, including alternative methods for special populations (e.g., students with disabilities, English language learners, disadvantaged students)
- Develop appropriate, research-based lesson plans and curricula for gifted classrooms
- Discuss best practices, theories, models and strategies used to instruct gifted students
- Understand the value of teaching self-advocacy and self-assessment to students
- Implement a positive and creative learning environment that serves the diverse goals of a gifted classroom
- Define student achievement and detail the methods and strategies used for assessing a gifted student's progress
- Interpret assessment data and recognize the qualities of a good, helpful assessment
- Discuss the rights, responsibilities and community roles of the gifted education professional
- Identify professional publications, organizations and development opportunities
In this TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental study guide, you'll work through eleven chapters, each one containing a number of short video lessons (93 total). The online format makes it easy to review and practice the content anywhere, anytime; the Dashboard automatically keeps track of the material you've covered. Take as much time as you need to finish and use the included quizzes and chapter tests to check your progress.
TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental Exam Information
The TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental (162) test is a computer-assisted test offered to licensed Texas educators who are seeking certification to teach gifted and talented students of all grades.
- Number of Questions: 80 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131
TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental (162) Breakdown
|TExES Concept||Percent of the Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Foundations of Gifted Education||40%||32 questions||39|
|Assessment, Curriculum and Instruction||60%||48 questions||54|
TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental Preparation & Registration
Use this study guide to review pedagogical concepts that are relevant to teaching gifted and talented students, in accordance with Texas educational standards. Refresh your memory on key points in the history of gifted education, as well as important professional issues and practical skills to use in lesson/curriculum planning and assessment. We provide quick quizzes, as well as cumulative tests to help reinforce the material and ensure that you're keeping up with the content.
The TExES Gifted and Talented Supplemental test is offered continuously throughout the year. Registration is done through the Texas Education Agency; note that you must already hold a Texas classroom teaching certificate to be eligible to earn this certification. You'll take this exam at a computer-based test (CBT) center, and when you register, you'll be able to select the location and time (morning or afternoon session) that work best for you. Be sure to verify your test location and time, as well as any other policies provided in your TExES registration bulletin. You will be asked to present two forms of valid ID (e.g., a driver's license, passport, military ID) at the testing center, with your full name as given at the time of registration and a photo.
Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) is a registered trademark of the Texas Education Agency, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Gifted Education Certification Requirements in Alabama
- How Do Study.com Courses Align With Common Core Standards?
- Study.com Updates
- Gifted Teacher Certification in Louisiana
- Gifted Teacher Certification in Missouri
- Business Education Certification in Texas
- It's Universal Human Rights Month: Spotlight on Education
- The Most Helpful Free Education Resources
- Study.com at Open Education Week: Day 2
- Preparing Tomorrow's Leaders: Study.com Speaks with Veterans for Education
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses