- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 261
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The History of Health Care in the United States
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis course provides a convenient review of the topics you should know if you are seeking certification as a middle or high school health teacher in Texas. Lessons in this study guide are taught by experienced instructors, and the assessment quizzes and tests can help you gauge your knowledge of the material on the TExES Health Science 6-12 exam. This Study.co course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About This Course
This course discusses various clinical and administrative topics in the health sciences field that will help to prepare you for the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Health Science 6-12 exam. You can review body systems, mental health, disease control, nutrition, healthcare communications, medical terminology and more. Video and text lessons offer short but detailed reviews of these topics and can be accessed 24/7, making it possible to fit study time into any busy schedule. Track your progress on your Dashboard and access any of these lessons as many times as needed to ensure your full understanding of this material.
Check out our TExES Preparation resources! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and TExES informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
When you use this study guide, you'll be able to meet such objectives as defining medical terms, identifying body systems and stages of human development, describing causes and progressions of specific diseases, discussing concepts in nutrition and detailing healthcare communication methods. You will also be able to:
- Identify the societal impact and historic trends of healthcare
- Outline the basic anatomy and physiology of the human body
- List the basic stages of human development
- Detail reemerging health technologies
- Provide an overview of pathogens and diseases
- Describe concepts in pharmacology
- Explain the skills and role of a health care worker
- Identify precautions and safety for health care workers
- Discuss the ethical responsibilities of health care workers
- Outline medical acronyms, symbols and abbreviations
- Understand nutritional needs and information
- Define therapeutic concepts of nutrition
- Explain concepts in mental health
- Detail teamwork in the workplace
This course contains 27 individual chapters broken down into 241 lessons. Each lesson is taught by an experienced instructor. If you have questions about lesson content, you can reach out to our subject experts via a brief online contact form.
TExES Health Science 6-12 Exam Information
In addition to general certification, those seeking to become middle or high school health educators in Texas must pass the TExES Health Science 6-12 exam. You can increase your chances of passing this crucial exam by using this course as a study aid.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131
TExES Health Science 6-12 Exam Breakdown
|TExES Health Science 6-12 Exam Concept||Percent of the Health Science 6-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Academic Foundations||19%||19 questions||55|
|Medical Sciences||19%||19 questions||60|
|Occupational Knowledge||43%||43 questions||94|
|Professional Responsibilities||19%||19 questions||32|
TExES Health Science 6-12 Exam Preparation & Registration
This extensive study guide is designed to help you prepare to answer questions in all four domains of the TExES Health Science 6-12 exam. Lessons address medical abbreviations and symbols, medical terms, human growth, aging, disease causes and prevention, nutritional concepts and disorders, mental health disorders and drug types and classifications. You can also study topics in microbiology, health and wellness, healthcare safety and management, medical ethics and health assessment practices. Chapters in this guide provide engaging video lessons and printable lesson transcripts as well as self-assessment quizzes that allow you to master the material in each lesson before moving on to another topic.
To register for this TExES exam, you must first create an account using the Educational Testing Service (ETS) online registration system available on the ETS website. This account will be created for you should you choose to register by mail or phone. Once the registration process is complete, you will be presented with ID documents which you must bring with you to your testing site on the day of your exam.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Health Teacher Certification in Texas
- What Are Health Science Courses?
- How to Become a High School Health Teacher
- What Do You Study in an Environmental Health Course?
- Undergraduate Health Assessment Course Information
- How to Become a High School Science Teacher in Texas
- Online Courses and Certificates in Health Administration
- Should I Become a High School Teacher? - Quiz & Self-Assessment Test
- Health Science Schools in Florida with Course and Degree Info
- Online Courses and Classes in Health Sciences
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses