- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 250
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Nature of Science
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryReview middle to high school level physical science concepts with this study guide. These video lessons and self-assessment quizzes can help you prepare to take and pass the TExES Physical Science 6-12 exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About this Course
You can use this course to increase your understanding of or learn new facts about various physical science topics. The material addressed in this course will be found on the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Physical Science 6-12 exam. You can review motion, gases, energy, acids and bases, electricity, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. The easy-to-follow and engaging lessons that comprise this study guide each take only about 5-10 minutes to get through and use illustrations and examples to ensure your full understanding of these concepts. You can print lesson transcripts for easy reference purposes and use a brief online contact form to ask experts any lesson-relevant questions.
Check out our TExES test prep materials! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational TExES resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The purpose of this extensive guide is to help you reach such objectives as explaining the basics of motion, defining electrical forces, providing examples of heat and energy, discussing properties of gases and applying chemical equations. Once you finish this course, you should also be able to:
- Detail scientific processes and research
- Understand fluid mechanics
- Outline electrical forces and fields
- Discuss work, power and energy
- Define optics and waves
- Explain the basics of matter
- Outline the periodic table
- Differentiate between covalent and ionic bonds
- Describe energy transformations
- Define radioactivity
- Understand reduction and oxidation reactions
- Identify laboratory equipment
This course contains 30 individual chapters broken down into 224 video and text lessons. Access lessons from any device 24/7 and take self-assessment quizzes and chapter exams to measure what you have retained as you move through the course.
TExES Physical Science 6-12 Exam Information
The TExES Physical Science 6-12 exam is used to assess the knowledge of entry-level teachers and measure their ability to teach physical science topics to middle and high school students. This exam must be passed in order to obtain teacher certification for this subject area.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131
TExES Physical Science 6-12 Exam Breakdown
|TExES Physical Science 6-12 Exam Concept||Percent of the Physical Science 6-12 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Scientific Inquiry and Processes||14%||14 questions||33|
|Science Learning, Instruction and Assessment||9%||9 questions||11|
TExES Physical Science 6-12 Exam Preparation & Registration
The short lessons in this study guide are meant to address the material you are likely to encounter on the TExES Physical Science 6-12 exam. They provide detailed overviews of chemistry and physics laws, properties and processes. You can learn about atoms, chemical reactions, laws of motion and gravitation, magnetic fields and forces, types of energy, radioactivity, and momentum. Check what you've learned using the self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson. The quizzes can be taken as many times as you need to ensure your full understanding of the topics covered in the lessons.
To register for an exam, access the TExES website and create a testing account. Once an account has been created, you can register online or by phone or mail. You must present a printed admission ticket and required ID at the testing center when you arrive to take your exam.
TExES Physical Science 6-12 Exam Scoring
Test scores are accessible online through your testing account. Results are not mailed. A minimum score of 240 is needed to pass the TExEs Physical Science 6-12 exam. The time to complete the entire exam is 5 hours.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top Schools for Physical Science
- Physical Science Courses and Classes Overview
- Online Courses in the Physical Sciences: Course Descriptions
- Physics Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in the Physical Sciences
- Study.com Updates
- Physical Sciences
- Career Information for a Degree in Physical Sciences
- Physical Sciences Bachelor Degrees and Majors
- Physical Science Degree Program Information
- Physical Science Major: Information and Requirements
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses