- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 229
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Linguistics: Language Development in Children
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryEnhance your preparations for the TExES Reading Specialist test with help from the study tools available in this entertaining course, including bite-sized lessons, multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams you can utilize anytime. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About this Course
Study fun lessons in this self-paced course to improve your ability to pass the TExES Reading Specialist test. This test helps current and prospective educators earn the certification needed to work as a reading specialist in Texas schools. Prepare for the test by using the lessons to refresh your knowledge of methods for teaching students phonemic awareness, the mechanics of writing and word identification. Also, use this course to study strategies for reading intervention, ways to collaborate with colleagues and other professional concerns for reading specialists. Lesson quizzes, chapter exams and a comprehensive course exam can test your understanding of key concepts.
Check out our TExES Preparation resources! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and TExES informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The following course objectives are closely aligned with topics covered on the TExES Reading Specialist test. In addition to getting reacquainted with reading intervention strategies, English language learner instruction and how to teach phonemic awareness, this course enables you to:
- Discuss the basics of oral language development and how it can be accomplished in the classroom
- List strategies for teaching print concepts and the alphabet principle
- Detail methods for teaching word identification
- Explain ways educators can develop and assess literacy and teach and assess reading fluency
- Discuss ways to foster reading comprehension in the classroom
- Identify and discuss strategies for teaching reading comprehension
- Outline techniques for developing student vocabularies and teaching the mechanics of writing
- Detail strategies for developing and assessing student writing skills
- Exhibit knowledge of various instructional methods and resources for Texas teachers
- Outline theoretical foundation and research-based curriculum
- Describe research-based curriculum
- Discuss assessment methods and instruments
- Share ways Texas teachers can handle reading difficulties and disabilities
- List collaboration and professional development tips for reading specialists
In this course are 20 chapters and 211 lessons you can study anytime using any computer, smartphone or tablet. Each lesson is accompanied by a short quiz designed to check your comprehension of concepts covered. As you navigate through the course, use the dashboard to keep track of your progress and submit lesson topic questions to our experts. Chapter exams and a final course exam are available to confirm your understanding of the lessons and check your readiness to answer questions formatted similarly to those on the test.
TExES Reading Specialist Exam Information
The TExES Reading Specialist test is a certification exam used in Texas to measure educators' knowledge and skills as they prepare to work as reading specialists in public schools.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131
TExES Reading Specialist Exam Breakdown
|Exam Concept||Percent of the Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Instruction and Assessment: Components of Literacy||57%||57 questions||123 lessons|
|Instruction and Assessment: Resources and Procedures||14%||14 questions||56 lessons|
|Meeting the Needs of Individual Students||14%||14 questions||19 lessons|
|Professional Knowledge and Leadership||14%||14 questions||13 lessons|
Preparing & Registering for the TExES Reading Specialist Test
Ensure your preparations for the TExES Reading Specialist test align with your personal schedule and study needs by utilizing the resources in this course your way. Select the lessons you want to review in each chapter, and study anytime you desire thanks to 24/7 computer and mobile access. Short quizzes are available to check your knowledge of the lessons and determine which topics need additional attention. To feel confident in your ability to pass the test, take this course's practice exams to assess your knowledge of key concepts and send our subject-matter experts questions if you need to clarify details presented in the lessons.
Registration is available 24/7 through the Pearson online registration system. To get started, you will need to create or log into your account and click the option to register for a test. After a few additional steps, you will be able to schedule your test location and date. It is important that you enter your full name as it appears on your ID to avoid admission issues. On the day of the test, be sure to arrive before your scheduled time and bring your ID and admission ticket. If you know in advance you will not able to able to take the test on your scheduled day, be sure to reschedule or cancel through your online account.
Texas Examinations for Educator Standards (TExES) is a registered trademark of the Texas Education Agency, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Reading Specialist Degree Programs and Courses
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- The Most Open Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Study.com Now Has 150 Courses Available For College Credit
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Study.com Updates
- Online Reading Specialist Courses and Classes Overview
- TExES Test Preparation & Resources
- Most Interactive Free Online Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Free Courses with the Best User Experience: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Top Ranked Criminal Justice Degree Programs - Oklahoma City OK
- Top Master of Health Administration Degree Program - Jacksonville FL
- Biomedical Tech
- Accounting MBA Top School with a Masters in Accounting Degree Program - Salt Lake City UT
- Health Services Degrees Top Ranked College for Degrees in Health Services and Healthcare Administration - Tucson AZ
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses