- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 224
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1TExES School Counselor Exam Dates
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis self-paced course will fully prepare you for the TExES School Counselor exam. The course uses engaging video lessons and provides quizzes and practice tests to assess your knowledge of the topics covered by the exam. This Study.com course was last updated in 2018.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About This Course
Complete the lessons and quizzes in this course for a comprehensive review of what's covered on the Texas Examinations of Educators Standards (TExES) School Counselor exam. Our engaging lessons can help you improve your understanding of student development, different approaches to counseling, and the responsibilities of school counselors. Self-assessment quizzes, chapter exams, and a final exam are provided to ensure you understand the topics covered. Conveniently, 24/7 online access allows you to study at your own pace. You can submit questions to our instructors if you have any questions about the information in the lessons.
Check out our TExES Preparation resources! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and TExES informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The topics that you should know to do well on the TExES School Counselor exam are covered in this course. You can get an understanding of various counseling theories, strategies for diverse learning environments, and methods for handling crises. Upon completion of this course, you should be able to confidently do the following:
- Discuss theories of cognitive, social, language, and emotional development
- Recall stages and processes of physical and motor development
- Recount factors that can affect human development
- Describe different theoretical approaches to counseling
- Discuss roles and responsibilities of school counselors and school counseling programs
- Explain curriculum development, student assessments, and program evaluations
- Discuss college, career, individual, and group counseling
- Name different types of crisis intervention
- Identify the importance of goal setting and student motivation
- Outline issues in diversity and equality in school counseling
- Employ strategies to create diverse learning environments
This course contains 18 individual chapters broken down into 201 lessons delivered in text and video formats. You can easily gauge your understanding of the material covered in each lesson by taking self-assessment quizzes and completing each chapter exam.
TExES School Counselor Exam Information
The TExES School Counselor exam is part of the certification process for becoming a school counselor in the state of Texas.
- Number of Questions: 100 questions
- Question Type: Multiple-choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131 (per test)
TExES School Counselor Exam Breakdown
|TExES School Counselor Exam Concept||Percent of the TExES School Counselor Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Understanding Students||30%||30 questions||35|
|Planning and Implementing the Developmental Guidance and Counseling Program||40%||40 questions||104|
|Collaboration, Consultation and Professionalism||30%||30 questions||62|
TExES School Counselor Preparation and Registration
Each chapter of this course is composed of a series of lesson videos that are accompanied by lesson transcripts and quizzes. You can read the lesson transcripts to reinforce your retention of the material presented in the lessons and take quizzes to test your understanding of the lessons. After you've completed all the lessons and quizzes in a chapter, take the practice chapter exam to test your overall understanding of the material before moving to the next.
The TExES School Counseling exam is offered on selected days of year; to check out these dates visit the TExES-ETS website. You will also need to visit this website to register for this exam. Check with your program, or the Texas Education Agency if you are out of state, before you take this exam to get eligibility approval and determine what other TExES tests you may need to take.
TExES School Counselor Scoring
You need a minimum scaled score of 240 in order to pass the exam, and you will find out whether you passed as soon as you complete the test. Score reports are made available within a time period of four weeks following the test date.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How Can I Use Study.com Courses to Homeschool?
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Are Online Courses Self-paced at Howard Community College?
- How to Choose a Video Graphics School or Course
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- The Most Engaging Free Courses: Study.com's People's Choice Award Winner
- Metalsmithing Schools & Courses
- Top School in Tampa for Video Graphics Courses
- Online Courses to Be an Alcohol Counselor: Course Overviews
- Revenue Cycle Project Manager Salary Job Description
- Hemodialysis Nurse Job Description Duties and Requirements
- Architectural Engineers Job Description and Requirements for a Career in Architectural Engineering
- IRS Auditor Job Description and Requirements for Becoming an IRS Auditor
- Autocad Technology Certificate Programs in Colorado
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses