- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 319
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Organizing History with Calendars, Maps & Periodization
This course can be found in: TExES Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 40+ TExES study guides, and 6,000+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryThis course was developed to prepare you for taking the Texas Examinations of Educator Standards (TExES) Social Studies 4-8 test. Unique study features make the lessons both engaging and effective and gauge your readiness in taking this teacher certification exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
Related TExES Courses
About This Course
This TExES Social Studies 4-8 study guide offers a quick and convenient way to prepare for certification to teach this subject in Texas. The lessons in this course will increase your competency in and knowledge of the area of social studies. After completing this course, you will be better able to answer test questions on such topics as American colonization, western expansion, slavery, the Civil War, immigration and industrialization, World Wars I and II, and U.S. government, society, technology and religious diversity. You'll also review effective teaching, assessment and curriculum development strategies for this subject. Short, 5-10 minute text and video lessons and 24/7 accessibility make it possible to quickly review this material wherever and whenever it best fits your schedule. Quizzes and chapter exams help you identify what topics you fully understand and which you need to study further.
Check out our TExES Preparation resources! We've got TExES courses to teach you the material, comprehensive TExES study guides to help you study, TExES practice tests to test your knowledge, and TExES informational articles to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
This course was last updated in 2020.
Syllabus & Course Information
With the use of this course, you can quickly dust off your ability to recall events leading to and occurring during the American Revolution, name America's first presidents, describe pre-Civil War society, discuss the Great Depression and describe components of the U.S. government. You will also be able to:
- Discuss the Bill of Rights and U.S. Constitution
- Relate the causes and effects of the War of 1812
- Name key figures and battles of the Civil War
- Detail post-Civil War developments
- Identify social movements of the 19th and 20th centuries
- List regions of the U.S. and Texas
- Define and discuss human migration
- Provide details about economic systems and principles
- Understand U.S. cultural, technological and economic advances
- Detail effective social studies teaching strategies
This course contains 35 individual chapters broken down into 271 lessons. These lessons are in video or text formats and offer printable transcripts so you can produce quick-reference study materials if needed.
TExES Social Studies 4-8 Exam Information
The TExES Science 4-8 exam is administered to entry-level educators seeking to teach middle grade science in the state of Texas. Full preparation can ensure you get a passing score on this test, and this extensive study guide is a great tool you can use to review the topics you need to know.
- Number of Questions: 90 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 5 hours
- Exam Cost: $131
TExES Social Studies 4-8 Exam Breakdown
|TExES Social Studies 4-8 Exam Concept||Percent of the Social Studies 4-8 Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Social Studies Content||71%||64 questions||252|
|Social Studies Foundations, Skills and Instruction||29%||26 questions||19|
Preparing & Registering for the TExES Social Studies 4-8 Exam
Using this study guide will prepare you for answering test questions about the Texas fight for independence, 19th and 20th century social movements, US and Texas geography, post-WWII political and social changes, migration of people and culture, and more. Lessons are in written and video format. Each has a quiz to take at the end for self-assessment of your understanding of the material. To look back over any part of a video lesson, you can use the video transcript or use the video timeline tool and locate, by keyword, the exact section you want to replay. You can track your course progress via the dashboard.
TExES Social Studies 4-8 testing is now offered on computer on a continuous basis. Registration is accomplished on the ETS TExES website.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Strategies for Taking Effective Notes While Studying Online
- How Hard Is the Texas Teacher Certification Exam?
- How to Become a Social Studies Teacher in Louisiana
- How to Become a Social Studies Teacher in Connecticut
- Taking Harder Tests Makes You Smarter
- Social Studies Lesson Plans
- Educational Videos Help Teacher to Make Online Courses More Engaging
- How to Fit Studying for Your Teacher Certification Into Your Schedule
- Taking the GRE: 6 Study Tips & Tricks
- Does Taking Online Courses Make You Look Bad?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses