- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 11
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Management Roles and Principles
Course SummaryHelp your first-time managers learn some handy management tips by using this informative course. Our short, easy-to-follow video and text lessons can help first-time managers understand their role in the company, develop management skills and avoid common first-time mistakes.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
About This Course
Your new managers will become familiar with the purpose and roles of management as well as focus on developing important skills. Why middle management's important, the different levels of management and common errors that occur with beginning managers are among the topics. Your new or future managers can take a self-assessment quiz after each short video to confirm their understanding.
How It Works
Your managers will be able to watch this material from a computer, smartphone or tablet any place where they can connect to the Internet. Each of the videos lasts somewhere around 5 minutes. This course is also well-suited to corporate training activities. Features include:
- Engaging video lessons that help managers fully understand their key roles
- Video tags let your managers easily revisit specific pointers for success in their new position
- Measure new managers' grasp of multiple lessons at a time with chapter exams
- Managers can demonstrate what they learned across the course in the final exam
How It Helps
- Defines roles: New managers who are unsure of what their roles entail will leave this course with a solid understanding of them.
- Develops skills: Key skills that managers should have are clearly communicated in this course, which can help new managers see which areas they may need to develop.
- Prevents mistakes: This course will bring to attention some mistakes that are commonly made by managers who are just starting out so that first-time managers can avoid them.
The Role of a Manager
- Middle management
- Management roles
- Important skills for beginning managers
- The different management levels
- Organizational management
Transitioning to Management
- The importance of planning in management
- Mistakes to avoid
- Tips for first-time managers
- Effective team building
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Avoiding Teacher Burnout - 5 Time Management Tips
- Time Management Tips for College Students
- Six Expert Tips for Integrating Technology Into the Classroom for the First Time
- 5 Tips for Passing Your SPHR Certification the First Time
- Common Mistakes New and Seasoned HR Managers Make and How to Learn From Them
- Online Time Management Courses and Training Programs
- Starting Your First Job After College? These 5 Tips Will Help You Shine
- Preparing Your Teenager with ADHD to Move Out for the First Time
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Time Management for Teachers IN & Out of the Classroom
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses