- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 121
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1DNA: Chemical Structure of Nucleic Acids & Phosphodiester Bonds
Course SummaryLet us help you score a passing grade on the UExcel Basic Genetics exam and earn college credit at the same time with this flexible test prep course. Use these videos, quizzes and printable transcripts as a comprehensive study guide you can access from any mobile device, anytime.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
Earning three college credits is as simple as taking just a few weeks to study with our UExcel Basic Genetics prep course before taking the UExcel exam. The credit you earn from passing the exam can be applied to more than 2,900 colleges and universities.
This course features short and engaging video lessons that offer a fun and fast approach to learning all the concepts found in a semester-long genetics course, such as the molecular and chromosomal basis of inheritance, Mendelian genetics, model organisms, comparative genomics and transgenic organisms.
Syllabus & Course Information
You'll have mastery of the objectives below when you've finished the lessons in this course. These objectives align with the concepts tested on the UExcel Basic Genetics exam. A final exam is included in our course - offering you an additional preparation method.
- Study DNA and RNA, including replication, types and structure.
- Learn about prokaryotic transcription, eukaryotic transcription, the genetic code and protein synthesis.
- Examine an overview of genetics, properties of alleles, and Mendel's laws.
- Discover complementation tests, exceptions to simple dominance, polygenic traits, epistasis and heredity.
- Analyze the theory of evolution, the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium and natural selection.
- Investigate the ideas of inbreeding, genetic fitness and speciation.
- Learn about invertebrate and vertebrate model organisms and the pattern formation in the basic body plan.
- Study different types of genes, such as maternal-effect, gap, pair rule, segment polarity and homeotic.
- Examine what causes mutations, including mutagens and irradiation.
- Look at DNA base excision repair.
- Explore human genetics research that touches on topics, including pedigrees, population genetics and genetic disorders.
- Study topics related to sex chromosomes and genetic testing.
- Review topics related to comparative genomics, such as homology, prokaryotes, eukaryotes and chromosomes.
- Explore the polymerase chain reaction, cloning, genetic modification and the Human Genome Project.
Prerequisites aren't needed for this introductory course, but knowledge of basic chemistry, algebra and biology principles will be helpful.
This course has eight chapters with a total of 113 video lessons, which can be viewed in about five to ten minutes. Lessons also come with a short quiz and a transcript in case you want to follow along or review a missed concept. If you like keeping track of the lessons you've watched and quizzes you've taken, use the progress tracking tool that comes with the course. The course experts who lead these lessons are available to answer questions. You'll also want to take the chapter exams and final exam to make sure you're prepared for the exam.
UExcel Basic Genetics Exam Information
The questions that you'll see on the UExcel Basic Genetics exam cover the same concepts you would find in a traditional college course on basic genetics. This semester-long course is designed for non-biology majors and can be used to fulfill general education requirements.
- Number of Questions: Approximately 100
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3
- Exam Cost: $95
Earn UExcel Credit
The UExcel Basic Genetics Exam leads to three lower-level college credits that you can use to graduate more quickly and cut the cost of your degree in half. This prep course is the most effective way to prepare for this exam and earn credits quickly.
Study Schedule for the UExcel Basic Genetics Exam
This course has around 11 hours of instruction. Use the timetable below to help you determine how much time you'll need to spend studying. After you've determined your study time, call and make an appointment for your exam, to be sure you'll get a time slot that fits your schedule.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||Just over 1 week|
|2 hours a day; 3 days a week||Nearly 2 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||Nearly 4 weeks|
UExcel is a registered trademark of Excelsior College, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- College Student Uses Free Courses and the CLEP Exam to Earn Low-Cost Credits
- How to Use Dual Degree Programs to Earn High School and College Credit at the Same Time
- Earning Low Cost College Credit with the CLEP Exams
- Do I Have to Take College Entrance Exams to Earn Transfer Credit?
- Get $1000 for Earning College Credit!
- College Finance: Managing Your Credit Score
- College Student Gets Paid $1000 for Using Free Course to Earn College Credit
- Colleges That Accept AARTS Transcripts
- How to Send College Transcripts for Transfer
- How to Prepare for AP, CLEP, DSST & UExcel Tests
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses