- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 127
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is an Information System?
Course SummaryThis comprehensive study guide covers information systems hardware, software, applications and data management used in business. This course addresses all of the topics you could expect to be tested on when taking the UExcel Business Information Systems proficiency exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
16 chapters in UExcel Business Information Systems: Study Guide & Test Prep
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
It can take as little as two weeks to prepare for the UExcel Business Information Systems exam using this extensive course. You will find lessons that are accessible at any time, on any device, and that take only minutes to review. Using this study guide is one of the quickest and easiest ways you can earn three transferable college credits.
The video and text lessons comprising this course focus on information system components, systems development, hardware and software applications, database structures, and networking and communications systems. You'll also review business enterprise systems, data management systems, decision-making processes and the social and personal impact of computers. Lessons provide key term definitions and detailed examples so you can be sure all the information is thoroughly covered.
Syllabus & Course Information
After completing your study of this course, you should have mastered the following objectives to ensure your readiness in taking the UExcel Business Information Systems exam. Further measure your knowledge by taking this course's final exam.
- Define the components of an information system
- Describe information system hardware and software systems and applications
- Detail information about the Internet as well as intranets and extranets
- Discuss telecommunication systems
- Describe how a business enterprise system works
- Provide details about decision support and specialized information systems
- Explain the software development process
- Understand the different methods for data management
- Analyze the ways in which computers impact privacy and society
There are no prerequisites for this course, however, it is suggested that students have a basic understanding of computer and office application use.
This course contains 15 individual chapters broken down into 118 lessons in text and video formats. The lessons come with self-assessment quizzes that help you determine how much you have retained from each lesson and if you might need further review in any area. The course's final exam is a great tool you can use to assess whether you are ready to take the UExcel Business Information Systems exam.
UExcel Business Information Systems Exam Information
This exam addresses many of the topics you would study in a standard business information systems course. Students can apply the credits earned with this exam toward a degree at Excelsior college or transfer the credits to another school.
- Number of Questions: 120 questions
- Question Type: Mostly multiple choice
- Time Limit: 2 hours
- Number of Credits: 3 credits
- Exam Cost: $110
UExcel Business Information Systems Exam Breakdown
|UExcel Exam Concept||Percent of the UExcel Exam||Approximate Number of Questions||Chapter Lessons|
|Introduction to Information Systems||15%||18 questions||17|
|The Technology of Information Systems||30%||36 questions||60|
|Business Information Systems||30%||36 questions||26|
|Systems Development||15%||18 questions||6|
|Personal/Social Impact of Computers||10%||12 questions||9|
Earn UExcel Credit
You can earn three transferable college credits toward your degree by taking the UExcel Business Information Systems exam. You can complete your program in a shorter amount of time and even save some money on the cost of tuition. This study guide is a great resource you can access to help prepare for this exam in a quick and effective manner.
Study Schedule for the UExcel Business Information Systems Exam
This course consists of approximately 16 hours of instruction. Study at your own pace with lessons that are accessible 24/7. Use the time table below to determine how much study time you will need to fully prepare for this exam.
|Study Frequency||When You'll Be Ready for the Exam|
|3 hours a day; 3 days a week||Almost 2 weeks|
|2 hours a day; 3 day a week||Almost 3 weeks|
|1 hour a day; 3 days a week||Just over 5 weeks|
UExcel is a registered trademark of Excelsior College, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Overview of Business Information Systems Classes and Courses
- Associate of Business: Information Systems Degree
- AS in Business Information Systems: Degree Overview
- Horticulture Business Management Course and Training Information
- Software Testing Degree and Course Information
- Business Information Systems Degree Program Summaries
- Schools with Business Information Systems Programs: How to Choose
- MBA in Business Information Systems: Program Overview
- AAS in Business Information Systems: Degree Overview
- Online Database Systems Course and Class Information
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses