- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 47
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Reading and Writing for Personal Growth
Course SummaryStudying for and passing the reading subtest of the VCLA is simple using the fun lessons, mini quizzes and practice tests in this complete study guide. These study tools can help you quickly boost your knowledge and build your confidence before the day of the exam.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
|Course Progress||Best Score|
|Flashcards - Critical Thinking, Argument & Reasoning Skills|
|Flashcards - Interpreting Information in Graphic Form|
About This Course
This engaging study course can help you review topics you could encounter when taking the reading subtest of the VCLA. This subtest is used in conjunction with the writing subtest to ensure educators in Virginia have necessary literacy and communication skills to teach in schools. By exploring our informative course, you can study reading comprehension strategies, practices for interpreting reading passages, using reasoning and critical-thinking skills and more. In-depth lessons, multiple-choice quizzes, broader chapter exams and a final exam are available any time to build your comprehension and quickly strengthen your test preparations.
Check out our VCLA test prep materials! We've got comprehensive VCLA study guides to help you study, VCLA practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational VCLA resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
The following objectives are designed to fill you in on everything you should be familiar with before taking the reading subtest of the VCLA. By exploring this course, you can develop a quality understanding of topic vs. argument in a reading passage, synonyms and antonyms, structure in writing and argument structure. This course will also ensure you're ready to:
- Describe reading strategies like visualization and close vs. big-picture reading
- Detail how to decipher the meanings of words using context
- Explain the process of interpreting theme and main point
- Exhibit knowledge of writing structure, tone, mood and point-of-view
- Discuss the critical thinking process
- Provide facts about author's purpose and how to analyze arguments
- Outline ways to interpret graphs, charts and tables
In this course are 45 fun lessons divided into 5 chapters. The lessons, developed by top instructors, closely examine important concepts found on the reading subtest of the VCLA. Self-assessment options like multiple-choice quizzes and practice exams quickly and effectively check your understanding.
VCLA Reading Subtest Exam Information
The reading subtest of the VCLA is one of two subtests designed to determine if teaching candidates in Virginia possess the communication and literacy skills needed to become educators in the state.
- Number of Questions: 40 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $40 (single subtest); $80 (writing and reading subtests)
VCLA Reading Subtest Exam Preparation & Registration
You will find that this course offers a quick and simple way for you to review all of the material you could be tested on when taking the VCLA - Reading exam. Video and text lessons address ways to interpret and summarize reading passages; interpret and understand word choice, tone, mood, theme, intended meaning and more; analyze an argument; use critical thinking skills; and analyze graphic information displayed in charts, graphs and tables. Each lesson takes only 5-10 minutes to review and is conveniently accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can study whenever it best fits your schedule. Measure how much you have learned by taking self-assessment lesson quizzes and chapter exams to ensure that you are fully prepared to take the VCLA - Reading exam.
You must create an account on the VCLA website in order to register to take this exam. Once you complete registration and make payment of testing fees, you can then schedule your exam with Pearson. You will receive a confirmation email about your testing date and location from Pearson VUE.
The VCLA is a registered trademark of the Virginia Department of Education and Pearson Education, Inc., neither of which is affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Global Studies Quizzes
- How Video Games Help Children with ADHD Study & Have Fun
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- How to Study for AP Tests
- Studying 101: Guide to Studying in College
- Study Shows Acting Can Help with Reading Comprehension
- Autism Studies Abroad Help Back Home
- Kindle Found Lacking As Study Tool
- See Spot Read: Helping Children Build Confidence in Their Reading Skills
- Need a Break From Campus? Off-Campus Spots for Study and Fun
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 70,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses