- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 92
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
- New lessons are still being added
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Structure Sentences in an Essay
This course can be found in: VCLA Test Prep
Thousands of practice questions, 3 VCLA study guides, and 100+ test prep video lessons
Course SummaryEnhance your ability to take and pass the writing subtest of the VCLA by taking advantage of the study resources in this short course. Entertaining lessons, short quizzes and practice exams can ensure you're ready and able to answer writing questions you'll encounter on the exam.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
In this self-paced course is a comprehensive overview of writing topics you could see on the writing subtest of the VCLA. This subtest, along with the reading subtest, is used in Virginia to gauge the literacy and communication skills of educators. Engaging lessons can strengthen your knowledge of punctuation, writing mechanics and style, the structure of essays, word choice and much more. Multiple-choice quizzes test your comprehension of the lessons you study, while chapter exams and a final exam offer a broader review of this course.
Check out our VCLA test prep materials! We've got comprehensive VCLA study guides to help you study, VCLA practice tests to test your knowledge, and informational VCLA resources to get you up to speed on testing logistics.
Syllabus & Course Information
Get up to speed with every topic you can expect to encounter on the writing subtest of the VLCA using this engaging course. Once you've explored the lessons and taken advantage of various assessment options, you will be ready to address topics like how to write an outline, ways to connect with an audience through writing and how to support writing with examples and evidence. You'll also be ready to:
- Exhibit knowledge of brainstorming, categorization and additional ways to organize ideas in writing
- Share the meaning of tone, voice and other aspects of word choice in writing
- Describe an essay's structure, including the introduction, body and conclusion
- Discuss the use of nouns, pronouns, verbs and other aspects of grammar in writing
- Explain language facility concepts like parallelism, sentence clarity and subject-verb agreement
- Define and discuss active and passive voice, editing and other components of writing mechanics and style
- Detail how to use commas, hyphens, apostrophes, question marks and more in punctuation
- Summarize persuasive and informational texts
This course is composed of 8 chapters and a total of 81 entertaining lessons. By exploring the lessons, you can gain a complete understanding of important concepts covered on the subtest. Each lesson is paired with a multiple-choice quiz you can take any time to check your knowledge of key concepts. If you develop questions about any topics explored in this course, don't hesitate to submit them to our online tutors.
VCLA Writing Subtest Exam Information
The writing subtest for the VLCA is one of two subtests used to assess Virginia educator's communication and literacy skills.
- Number of Questions: 45 questions
- Question Type: Multiple choice, short answer, written summary and written composition
- Time Limit: 4 hours
- Exam Cost: $40 (single subtest); $80 (writing and reading subtests)
VCLA Writing Subtest Exam Preparation & Registration
Utilizing the fun lessons in this course makes preparing for the writing subtest of the VCLA simple. Our instructors present the materials in an engaging fashion that helps you easily and completely comprehend how to organize an essay, connect with an audience through writing, write strong transitions, proofread essays and more. Mini quizzes and practice exams gauge your readiness to answer questions related to these and other writing topics on the test. Use the Dashboard to keep track of your progress through this course, and submit any lesson topic questions you have to our experts.
Registering for the test requires creating an online account. Once you've created your account, you can choose your test location, date and the institution to which you want your scores sent. On the day of the test, arrive no more than 15 minutes late and present a current, government-issued ID printed in English. If you need to reschedule your test, the deadline to do so is at least 24 hours prior to your testing time.
Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment® (VCLA™) is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, Inc., which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Top AP Exam Study Guides and Resources
- How To Pass The Writing Accuplacer
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Get My GED: How to Pass the GED Exam
- How Do I Take Microsoft Certification Exams?
- Writing Courses and Classes Overview
- LPN NCLEX Exam Preparation Resources
- VCLA Test Preparation & Resources
- Bank Teller Exam Information, Resources and Exam Preparation Tips
- Advantages of Taking an Online Course Video
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses