- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 89
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Veterinary Medicine?
Course SummaryUse this course to prepare yourself to take and pass the Approved Veterinary Assistant (AVA) exam. Our videos and quizzes review topics that include veterinary office practices, infections and safety regulations.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
The brief video lessons and practice quizzes in this course offer solid preparation for the AVA exam. You can brush up on facts about the duties of a veterinary assistant and look at what other team members do in a veterinary clinic. Another lesson allows you to review ethics and legal issues that play a role in veterinary medicine. You'll review health and safety rules, and decontamination procedures. You'll also go over several types of zoonotic infections. Each lesson looks at a specific aspect of veterinary assisting that may show up on the AVA exam.
About the AVA
The AVA designation was developed by the National Association of Veterinary Technicians in America (NAVTA) as a way to show that a veterinary assistant has met accepted standards of education and competency. Test takers must have graduated from a veterinary assistant program approved by NAVTA.
AVA Registration and Preparation
Our lessons will help you prepare for all the topics that will show up on the exam, and the quizzes may indicate where you need extra study. Our format lets you study anywhere you have Internet access, and you can complete the lessons as your schedule allows.
Registering for the AVA is done online. After you graduate from training, your school can issue a code that will enable you to enroll and access the AVA exam. You must take the exam within 30 days of enrolling and paying to take the test. The exam, offered online, can be administered at a licensed testing center or in the presence of an approved mentor, such as a program instructor, a veterinarian or a credentialed technician.
AVA Scoring and Score Reports
The AVA exam contains 100 questions, and you must correctly answer at least 75 of them to pass. The allotted time is 150 minutes. After successfully finishing the exam, you'll have immediate access to the AVA certificate. Your examination results will be sent on to NAVTA. Only one attempt to pass the exam can be made with each paid enrollment, and you can't attempt the test more than five times.
AVA is a registered trademark of VetMedTeam LLC, which is not affiliated with Study.com
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Online Courses and Classes for Veterinary Assistants
- Veterinary Professions Career Video: Veterinary Assistant, Veterinary Technician, Veterinarian
- Veterinary Assistant Advancement Opportunities
- Veterinary Assistants: Career Profile
- Veterinary Assistant Certificate Programs
- Veterinary Assistant Education Requirements
- Veterinary Assistant: Online Diploma
- Veterinary Classes and Courses Overview
- List of Free Veterinary Classes and Courses Available Online
- Veterinary Assistant Certification and Diploma Programs
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses