- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 87
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1How to Write a Strong Personal Essay
Course SummaryEnglish 1 is a VHS course that contains lessons and videos outlining English topics. Study this course to work towards your homeschool, independent study, or online diploma goals through View High School, an online, private AdvancEd accredited high school.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
As a VHS student, you have access to our English 1 course through your enrollment in View High School. This course covers topics including academic writing conventions, types of academic essays and the basics of punctuation and grammar in a series of videos and lessons.
In order to receive course progress for this English 1 course, you're required to complete each chapter by watching or reading the lessons included in it and passing the accompanying lesson quizzes. All requirements for the course, such as discussion forum participation and any assignments are detailed in your course syllabus sent to you by your VHS course instructor. He or she will be monitoring your progress as you complete this course. If you have any questions as you review these lessons and chapters, your instructor is available to you to help along the way.
This View High School course will help fulfill all VHS student goals including:
- Earning a high school diploma
- Credit recovery
- Coursework to supplement other high school programs
- Accelerated learning
- Nontraditional students, like student athletes
- Independent study
- The basics of grammar and punctuation
- Academic writing conventions
- Principles of literature interpretation
- The analysis of poetry
- Principles of drama
- Types of academic essays
- Academic citations and research
- Making an argument in writing
- Listening and speaking skills for English students
- Essay development, structure and revision
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Get Your Accredited High School Diploma Online
- Accredited Online High Schools and High School Diploma Programs
- High School: Online Diploma
- Online High School Diploma Programs: How Do They Work?
- Accredited Online Courses with School Options
- Online College Courses for High School Students: Course Overviews
- How Online Courses Work Video
- Online Courses in International Studies with School Info
- Schools with Online Accredited Math Courses: How to Choose
- Schools with Accredited Online Engineering Courses: How to Choose
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 75,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses