- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 137
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Native American History: Origins of Early People in the Americas
Course SummaryAll students enrolled in View High School, an AdvancED accredited online private high school, can take this United States History course. Goals VHS students can accomplish through this course include independent study, homeschooling, credit recovery and a high school diploma through VHS.
To Start This Course Today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This View High School course is designed specifically for VHS students and provides a quality overview of United States history. This course helps students gain a firm grasp of important moments in the history of America, including the European exploration of North America, causes and effects of the American Revolution and Thomas Jefferson's presidency. Lessons in this common core aligned course also examine Manifest Destiny in America, the Great Depression, the Civil Rights Movement and a host of additional topics.
VHS students are required to complete each lesson and pass each quiz in order to fulfill requirements for this course. Completing this course is one part of the requirements for earning course credit. Look for your View High School instructor to send you a course syllabus that details additional course requirements, such as discussion forum participation, chapter assignments and applicable final projects.
If you develop questions about concepts covered in the lessons, be sure to reach out to your View High School course instructor directly. Also, keep in mind that your instructor will be monitoring your progress throughout this course and offering assistance along the way.
This View High School course will help fulfill all VHS student goals including:
- Earning a high school diploma
- Credit recovery
- Coursework to supplement other high school programs
- Accelerated learning
- Nontraditional students, like student athletes
- Independent study
- Native populations living in North America prior to European contact
- Settlement patterns and history of the 13 colonies
- Events leading to the American Revolution along with major battles
- Creation and ratification of the Constitution
- The Virginia Dynasty and Jefferson's presidency
- Accomplishments and detriments of the Jackson administration and regional conflicts
- Antebellum America and Manifest Destiny
- American sectional crisis and U.S. Civil War
- Reconstruction, life for African Americans and continued expansion westward
- U.S. industrialization, urbanization and the Progressive Era
- Imperialism and America's role in World War I
- Roaring 20s America, the Great Depression, FDR and the New Deal
- United States' involvement in WWII, post-war America and the Cold War
- Activism in the 1960s and the Civil Rights Movement
- America in the 1970s through 2000s
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Get Your Accredited High School Diploma Online
- Online College Courses for High School Students: Course Overviews
- Should High School Students Take College Courses?
- Accredited Online High Schools and High School Diploma Programs
- High School: Online Diploma
- Online High School for California Students
- Are High Schools Failing Students?
- Guide to Online High School for Iowa Students
- Guide to Online High Schools for Indiana Students
- A High School Diploma V. the GED
- Airplane Maintenance Technician Job Outlook and Requirements for a Career in Airplane Repair and Maintenance
- What to Expect When You Move Off Campus
- West Coast Universities
- General Ledger Accountant Job Description and Requirements for Becoming a General Ledger Accountant
- College and Career Standards Implemented Across the Country
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts