- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 146
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate:
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1The Last Ice Age: Thawing Ice and New Human Opportunities
Course SummaryLearn about World History with View High School, an online high school fully accredited by AdvancEd. All students enrolled with VHS may take this course to earn credits toward a VHS diploma. This course may also be used for independent study, credit recovery, homeschooling and more.
to start this course today
Try it risk-free for 30 days
Course Practice TestCheck your knowledge of this course with a 50-question practice test.
- Comprehensive test covering all topics
- Detailed video explanations for wrong answers
About This Course
This View High School course will take you on a complete, common core-aligned journey through the history of the world. Beginning with the birth of civilization, you'll learn about how societies across the globe have developed and changed over the ages. This course will introduce you to important figures, wars and events, as they occurred within historical context.
When you start this course, you will receive a syllabus from your View High School instructor. This syllabus outlines everything you need to do to meet all requirements for this course as a VHS student. This includes watching (or reading) all the lessons in this course, passing all related quizzes or exams, and completing any additional assignments, projects or forum participation requirements.
Your VHS instructor will help you every step of the way, and is on hand to answer any course questions or to provide extra help or clarification if you need it. Please contact your instructor any time you need additional guidance.
This View High School course will help fulfill all VHS student goals including:
- Earning a high school diploma
- Credit recovery
- Coursework to supplement other high school programs
- Accelerated learning
- Nontraditional students, like student athletes
- Independent study
- Early civilization, from the last Ice Age to the first cities
- Life, culture and progress in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt and Africa
- Cultural and imperial development in East Asia and the Americas
- Ancient Greece and the rise of Hellenism
- The Roman Empire, from its founding to its downfall
- The Dark Ages, including the spread of feudalism and the development of Islam
- Development and progress of the Middle Ages; the Crusades, Magna Carta and more
- The rebirth of arts and politics during the European renaissance
- The Exploration Age and New World colonialism
- European Reformation, from Martin Luther's 95 Theses to the rule of Queen Elizabeth I
- Scientific, political and cultural progress throughout the Age of Enlightenment
- 18th century revolution in the Americas and France, including the rise and fall of Napoleon
- The causes and effects of Industrial Revolution throughout the globe
- Europe's New Imperialism during the 19th and 20th centuries, and the westernization of Japan
- World War I, its causes, major conflicts and consequences
- The global tumult of the interwar period; worldwide economic crisis and the spread of fascism
- World War II, including the Holocaust and the atomic bomb
- Post-war unease, the Iron Curtain, the Cold War and the Space Race
- Modern global independence movements, decolonization and conflict
- Post-war advances in technology, art, religion and politics
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- How to Get Your Accredited High School Diploma Online
- What Online College Courses Can I Take Without a High School Diploma or GED?
- Do Colleges Accept Online High School Course Credit?
- Can a High School Student Take Online Courses From Sierra College?
- Can a High School Student Take a College Biology Course Online?
- Accredited Online High Schools and High School Diploma Programs
- Where Are Some Schools that I Can Take Online Courses for College Credit?
- High School Courses May Be Lacking in Rigor
- Online College Courses for High School Students: Course Overviews
- How Well Do Online Course Credits From a Reputable College Transfer to an Ivy League School or Similar Prestigious Institutions, When Taken in High School?
- Answers and detailed explanations to each question
- Video lessons to explain complicated concepts
Explore our library of over 79,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses